• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my psu getting hammered?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

I feel like the new guy with a thread name like this.. but im not really an expert when it comes to these sort of things.. unfortunately, math was my worst subject, and i use a calculater to overclock :attn:

Right now im not haveing any problems per say, just with asus probe, and even worse, everest. Here is a screen, so you can get an idea of what im saying :) tho everest reads my 12v at 11.3.. i did not include it in the screen, because i forgot to open it heheh

My only real issue is what the 12v is showing, This is my psu, its supposed to have 54a on the 12v. With the system in my sig, with an additional 2gb of ram, and the overclock in the screen, is it possible to be comeing close to the limit of the psu? Im getting a very good deal on This psu in a combination deal. I was getting some occasional freeseing and such dureing extended 3d sessions as well, so i figure the 850 should buy me a little more time, if my current psu is the issue..

I feel like the new guy with a thread name like this.. but im not really an expert when it comes to these sort of things.. unfortunately, math was my worst subject, and i use a calculater to overclock :attn:

Right now im not haveing any problems per say, just with asus probe, and even worse, everest. Here is a screen, so you can get an idea of what im saying :) tho everest reads my 12v at 11.3.. i did not include it in the screen, because i forgot to open it heheh

My only real issue is what the 12v is showing, This is my psu, its supposed to have 54a on the 12v. With the system in my sig, with an additional 2gb of ram, and the overclock in the screen, is it possible to be comeing close to the limit of the psu? Im getting a very good deal on This psu in a combination deal. I was getting some occasional freeseing and such dureing extended 3d sessions as well, so i figure the 850 should buy me a little more time, if my current psu is the issue..

Freeagent,

Use a digital multi meter on one of your molex plugs to check your voltage, don't trust the software readings.

Basically, get a multimeter, set it to measure voltage, find a free molex connector while your computer is running, and follow this guide to measure the voltages that you want:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector

so like one multimeter lead to the black wire, and one to the yellow wire to measure +12V for example (if you get something around -12V instead, you probably have the leads backwards)

You will probably want to measure once when the computer is relatively idle, and one when it's being stressed (like a game demo or something, where the CPU and vid card are both working hard). If you see the voltages drop over 5%, then your PSU probably is being pushed quite a bit.

Back