• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hipro 600w, great reviews, built by same makers as OCZ???? Can't be..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

I'm looking at THIS PSU at the egg. Was browsing through looking for something to power the build I'm on right now, and saw high review marks for cheap and figured I'd check out the reviews and see how it stacks up.

The reviews are all(except 1) pretty high, including 1 that states that this PSU is made by the makers of the OCZ Psu's. That can't be right, can it?

Even if that is incorrect, would you guys tell me to shy away from this? Budget is an issue, or I wouldn't even be considering it at all.

It will be powering:
AM2 x2 4600+
2 gigs corsair pc2 6400, ddr2 800
x1900xt
ASUS M2n-sli
WD sata 3g 250 gig
DL samsung with lightscribe
Floppppppppppy
Perhaps another WD 250 in raid-0

Currently has an ANTEC 550 truepower 2.0... is the upgrade neccessary?

Last edited:
Uhhh.... Topower? They make some good stuff... and they make a lot of crap. Definitely not anything "OCZ quality" there.

Looks like a P5 - Modstream quality. As much of a beef I have against CWT designs and their terrible caps lately, as long as the Antec is behaving itself I see no reason it shouldn't power the new build too.

So they don't make the OCZ as that poster stated.. didn't think so. So , Johnny, is that a vote to stay away? Or do you think it is worth a go on some mid range systems?

Wolf, another vote to stay away?

Topower used to OEM for OCZ... the Powerstreams and Modstreams were Topower. This particular unit is a Modstream grade unit - not terrible, but not that good either. One can do better for the price.

Unless the Antec is giving you cause for alarm, I'd keep it and see how it does. Unless you really want something new that is.

Use the Antec until the caps blow.

It should be enough power.

Probably better than the Topower to be perfectly honest.

Thanks, guys.

I've just used these antecs for the past couple of builds as a result of friends budgets, and frankly I don't trust them much.. bad experiences a while ago. Just looking for a decent budget replacement to power somewhat power hungry builds.

Wolf and Johnny, Thanks for the input on the Hipro's, A few folks have been recommending them highly on the Amd forums and I was kind of curious on the actual quality of the build.

Wolf, Not sure what you linked there as the link died. Please let me know.

jonnyGURU said:
Umm... Enhance.

They've only been making their own PSU's since 1986. ;)

Thanks. (Now that I look like an idiot! ;) ) I'm still learning a lot about PSU's, it's probably my weakest area.

I'll have to keep that one in mind for budget builds. Is it better or worse than a Fortron at that price point?

Back