• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about regular USB speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
I've got an external CD-RW and it connected to the computer VIA a USB port, but it's limited to 4x :eek: when writng/re-writing, it says when using a USB connection anything higher than 4x or 700kb/sec it wouldnt write very stable, so I'm just wondering how fast is USB 1.0 ? is that what it's called ?

Hi,

My undestanding is that USB 1.0/1.1 works at 12 Mbps (read Megabits/second) speed. But in reality and due to protocol/packing overheads, you can not expect to reach more than 0.8-1 MBPS (Megabytes/second) sustained transfer rates.
Given that a 1x CDROM speed is 150KBPS, then 0.8/0.15 = 5x approx the maximum reachable reliable speed, which is more or less what you pointed out.

If USB 2.0, then we're talking about 480 Mbps... a completely different animal, being able to easily sustain 33MBPS (UDMA2) speeds.

Regards
FTC

FTC said:
Hi,

My undestanding is that USB 1.0/1.1 works at 12 Mbps (read Megabits/second) speed. But in reality and due to protocol/packing overheads, you can not expect to reach more than 0.8-1 MBPS (Megabytes/second) sustained transfer rates.
Given that a 1x CDROM speed is 150KBPS, then 0.8/0.15 = 5x approx the maximum reachable reliable speed, which is more or less what you pointed out.

If USB 2.0, then we're talking about 480 Mbps... a completely different animal, being able to easily sustain 33MBPS (UDMA2) speeds.

Regards
FTC

Ok, thanks, I'm currently just using my legacy USB "on-board" which is 1.0/1.1, If I were to buy a 2/4 port USB 2.0 for my PCI slot would it allow me to write faster ? or would it still be limited by the CD-RW's firmware ?

Back