• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS Maximus V GENE Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice review :thup:
Finally you had good reason to post these memory results :p

some cons from my side:
- terrible package ( my board was damaged because of package quality ) that shouldn't happen in high end hardware
- ROG Connect isn't really working like it should, so far no bclk change, wrong temps ( wrong read under -20C or no read at all ), mixed voltage values ( PLL was under vdimm etc. )
- memory ratios above 2933 are still not working ... if anyone really needs it ;)
- profiles are sometimes disapearing from BIOS after failed oc ( maybe it's only on my board hard to say )

not so long list comparing to most other ASUS boards ;) ... so far probably best board that I had :)

I had a similar problem as Woomack, one of the plastic clips on the CMOSreset button was broken off because of the packaging.

I haven't had the time to play with ROG Connect yet or the profiles (waiting until this weekend when I'm at IMOGs :))

nice review hokie

Thanks guys!

The packaging was pristine on my end. If your vendors packed it properly, it should have survived the trip. The outer box it came it was not quite gently handled on its way through FedEx but ASUS packs their boards well when they send them out.

Re: Profiles, I've crashed numerous times and OC profiles have survived quite well. I'll have to check on ROG Connect. Even my memory isn't capable of taking advantage of that RAM multiplier, so I've never tried it. :)

Woomack, what BIOS are you running? 0078 is the latest beta AFAIK. There's a link from KPC here. In fact, subscribe to that thread for bleeding edge betas (which generally include fixes, the most recent being right up your alley - DRAM clocking improvements).

Last edited:
@hokie
0075 for now because I had some 3000+ memory profiles but yesterday bios cleared 6 out of 8 profiles after some "overclocking failed" actions ( I'm not sure why only 6 and not all 8 ) so I think I will try 0078 soon. That issue with profiles happened about 4 times till now on 3 different bioses so 4 weeks benching and a lot of random restarts and crashes. Not that it's really big issue but it happens.

About package I think it's more how they put board into the box. My M5G and CHV had mechanical damages while boxes were in perfect condition.

Grrrr.... now you guys have just hyped me even more!! Can't wait to receive my MVG, should arrive tomorrow, or Wednesday!! :3

Nice review as always, hokie! :thup:

Last edited:
Can't agree with the packaging complaints as mine was perfect and flawless but good job hokie

Can't agree with the packaging complaints as mine was perfect and flawless but good job hokie

Yeah packing was fine on mine as well and I didnt have any problems with profiles or mouse cutting out.

I've heard packaging complaints in the forums before with Asus boards... Broken components near the edges as a result of the way the board is retained in the package. I haven't ever identified problems, or seen anything that I thought was likely to cause problems personally... but it have heard about it a number of times in the forums.

It sits in a cardboard box in a box on top of padding. The corners are not padded/the board does not sit in foam with raised edges and can move a bit inside the packaging, especially with 'blunt trama' like dropping the box or something. That said, other mobo MFG do that as well so... not sure what the culprit could be. Regardless, I will take my chances.

Only other board I've seen packed that way is the G1 Sniper series, where I've seen damage caused by the cardboard around the edges.
It's a stupid packaging system.

ASRock meanwhile uses foam all the way around the edges as well as under the bottom. Smart.

It wasn't even in an antistatic bag... just sitting on-top of one.

Nope, that'd interfere with the ROGyness of being able to see the bare board when you flip the box lid.

If you put a large GPU in the bottom PCI slot, could you also fit a large heatsink on the cpu?

I think that can be problem with some really big cpu heatsinks and cards that have backplates or other stuff on back side but most should be fine with gfx in 1st slot.
I was using only box cooler and SS so I don't have much experience with large cpu coolers on this board.

Back