• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Expert Advise is needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yairg

Hello,

I want to OC my I 920 to 4Ghz.
the Machine is goona to work 24/7, so i want some decent cooling.

Here is the Main Points you need to consider:
  1. Its going to be running 24/7
  2. unlimited budget
  3. Noise doesnt metter
  4. I care about power consumption

Parts:
Cosmos S 1100
1000W Zalman
GTX 295
GA-58-EXTREME

Now i was thinking 2 cooling types(i dont include water cooling)
1. A Massive Fan cooling: http://images.tweaktown.com/imagebank/Core i7 920 oc 4G 2008.12.12_(ENG).pdf
the Thermalright Extreme 120 + fan will cost probebly around 80-90$.
2. is phase cooling:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7...kets_478_754_775_939_940_AM2_Xeon.html?tl=g41

The problem is between select those two are:
1. Using the fan on 4ghz constantly is looking like to have an unstable system if the pc is going to run 24/7.
so question for this one(thats why i ask experts), is fail safe , will it be stable enough ?

2. Using the Phase one, should keep the cpu on -10C. looks like good way to oc it stablty. BUT my main issue is the power consumption, Yes budgest doesnt metter But i am power conservartor guy and its important to me, the thing is I dont know much about Watts. from the info it says about 100watts. so i tend to compare it to some other objects, so my question is will running it 24/7 take alot of power ? Please can you compare it to other objects, for instance how much watt LCD 26 takes ? or refrigerator ?
because i dont want another refrigerator in my house, i know they are taking alot of power so how much watt refrigerator uselly takes ?

3. The reason i didnt include water cooling is because i dont spend money for 1 thing stuff, for instance the phase unit will be able to serv me for years and i will just have to change the head to fit the new Sockets, and the fan is just cheap, so i dont mind. but water cooling kid would be around 480-499, the cpu socket and the rad pipe and all that i will have no use in several years.

Before ordering, understand that the Core I7's (C0 stepping) do run hot. My Core I7 with stock cooling goes as far as 80C at stock settings. Even with a minor OC i've seen it reach 3 digits. If you have a D0 stepping you'll see more efficient temps.

Good water cooling doesn't have to cost around $480.
If you want a good cooler look into the TEC Cooler Master V10. It's kind of large, here is a review of it, and was used in a Cooler Master Cosmos S case too.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_v10/4.htm

4GHz might be a task to achieve but is doable. Running it 24/7 will produce a bit of heat. On the flip side its quite easy to achieve using Water Cooling and probably the best way to go.

The V10 Looks like a better cooler but acording to the rewiew its not and its more expasive then the Thermalight 120 Extreme.

According to the article you supplied, it reached to 61C Loaded @ 3.33Ghz, while on the article i supplied, it reached 55C loaded @ 4GHZ

So i guess, Thermalight 120 Extreme is better then the V10

As far as air goes the TRUE is the best of the best. From what I just learned in a thread I just posted, it will benefit the most from 2 high speed fans in push\pull configuration. It may get a little loud, depending on the fans used, but I think phase would be loud also.

Phase is loud. It's a compressor just like a fridge, bigger and more powerful. It also uses quite a bit of power. It's also troublesome, you have to insulate the mobo and socket area. Phase really isn't for general use, it's for benching mainly. It will give you sub ambient temps, but at a big price and hassle.

The V10 Looks like a better cooler but acording to the rewiew its not and its more expasive then the Thermalight 120 Extreme.

According to the article you supplied, it reached to 61C Loaded @ 3.33Ghz, while on the article i supplied, it reached 55C loaded @ 4GHZ

So i guess, Thermalight 120 Extreme is better then the V10

When did you post a link to a review? From your gathered data compared to mine, are you sure they are using the same processor? A core I7 compared to a Core 2 Quad isn't reliable or accurate.

Take a look at this article as well:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/926/4/

Back