• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im guessing this needs some kinda receiver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im getting this mITX board and was thinking of just using onboard sound. But I noticed that in the specs, it said 5.1/7.1 HD audio, but only has the one line out. Could this be SPDIF/coax? (dunno about coaxial, but my z5400s have a coax input so I suspect that some things still use it). It doesnt say on that site, but Im guessing Im going to need a receiver. I hope its coax, so I could use it with my z5400s, but if it isnt Ill just end up using my old x210s and headphones. Just one of those things Im curious about.

Yeah that is pretty confusing. The spec says 5.1/7.1 sound but if you look at the back panel i/o you have just line-out, line-in, and mic-in. There doesn't appear to be any digital outs either.

Roofles said:
Yeah that is pretty confusing. The spec says 5.1/7.1 sound but if you look at the back panel i/o you have just line-out, line-in, and mic-in. There doesn't appear to be any digital outs either.
Is there any kind of adapter? And I think they mean its 2.1 but then has a 5.1/7.1 DVD pass through type thing.

the software will convert the 3 jacks to center/sub, front r+l, and rear r+L..hence the 5.1
not sure how they get 7.1 out of it, unless you use the audio header on the mobo itself to output other channels

smokie mcpott said:
not sure how they get 7.1 out of it, unless you use the audio header on the mobo itself to output other channels
Its probably like an xfi, where it adds one of the side speakers to the front L/R port and the other to the rear L/R port (I think, I know it adds the two side speakers to the other channels.) The only problem with that is that THAT I KNOW OF there are only a few creative speakers that can decode the two side speakers. Thats what Im guessing if it converts all three jacks to the audio out.

Back