• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit nf7-s & 2500+ barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Entimann

Registered
abit nf7-s
2500+ barton
2xBuffalo Technology 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3200
radeon 9700pro
160 gb maxtor 7200rpm

this is the first computer i've ever built and it works great but i want to overclock it.

i figured out that the processor is locked so i guess i can only do the fsb.

i got it up to 194 but at 195 the screen just stays black. at 194 windows won't start. even at like 175 i get that screen that has pick if i want to start windows in safe mode. i don't know why it does this, the temperature of the cpu is like 40 celcius and the system is 28.

can anyone help me out?

you probably need to up your vcore - raise it a little at a time until it gets stable. Watch your temps though (Motherboard Monitor 5).

What Heatsink/fan are you using?

Bump your chipset voltage up a notch as well.

i got it up to 194 but at 195 the screen just stays black. at 194 windows won't start. even at like 175 i get that screen that has pick if i want to start windows in safe mode. i don't know why it does this, the temperature of the cpu is like 40 celcius and the system is 28.
^^ I bet that your FSB to CPU ratio isnt 1:1. If you set that ratios 1:1 it will have no trouble getting that far.

Im sure ur dividors are causing ur RAM to be heavily overclocked, thus leading to system instability

ok i got the fsb to 185mhz.

when i set it to 190 windows started but then it restarted and i checked the temp it was only 45c

i set the fsb to cpu ration at 6/6.

what can i do to make it go faster?

Set the ram to auto...then up the voltage about .50 more...if it still doesnt get into widows...keep upping the voltage until it does...but at the same time...keep a eye on your temps...you want to try to keep it 50 - 55C max if possible...when running past those temps...heat because a issue making the CPU unstable...

Also, make sure your AGP freq. is locked at 66Mhz...you might also have to set the AGP voltage to 1.6...mine gets freaky when running 200+FSB and 1.5v's...this is a recent NF7-S rev 2.0...You also shouldnt have to up the VDD (chipset) voltage until around 215 or so...

Also...my 2500 took around 2.05v's to run at 200FSB...2.2Ghz...

how come in all the other threads people talk about flashing the bios and tictac's(what is that?) if all i have to do is make some changes in the bios?

Entimann said:
how come in all the other threads people talk about flashing the bios and tictac's(what is that?) if all i have to do is make some changes in the bios?

Its a different BIOS version, not an offical Abit relase. It works for some and not for others. What version are you running right now?

You can find out when the MB posts. Its the last two numbers on the last line of the first post screen.

Entimann said:

Different BIOS bring different system performances...sometimes to the better, sometimes to the worse...

As for modded BIOS (TicTac)...he was able to fix a known issue that Abit had yet to fix...the 10 and 10.5 multiplier issues...most people could not boot up using either of those multipliers...and Abit ended up taking the options out of the last few BIOS updates instead of fixing the issue...

Plus modded BIOS's usally mean better performance then over offical BIOS versions...

Just take caution when flashing to any BIOS...a corrupt BIOS can come from a offical BIOS flash as well as from a modded BIOS...

glock19owner said:

Different BIOS bring different system performances...sometimes to the better, sometimes to the worse...

As for modded BIOS (TicTac)...he was able to fix a known issue that Abit had yet to fix...the 10 and 10.5 multiplier issues...most people could not boot up using either of those multipliers...and Abit ended up taking the options out of the last few BIOS updates instead of fixing the issue...

Plus modded BIOS's usally mean better performance then over offical BIOS versions...

Just take caution when flashing to any BIOS...a corrupt BIOS can come from a offical BIOS flash as well as from a modded BIOS...

Who needs the 10 and 10.5 multiplier any more with these mobiles?

That problem worked itself out if you ask me.

not everyone is using the mobiles...and for the people that get up to 240+ FSB still use the 10 and 10.5's ;)...even when using a mobile...

It helped me since my 310 will only go up to 2.2...so 10 and 10.5 is still neccecary for my OC and high FSB...

But I was just explaining why the TicTac BIOS is/was so popular...and the main reason why it was written ;)...

can i have two bioses and switch between them so that if one becomes corrupt then i can just switch to the other?

if not, what would i do to fix the bios if it did become corrupt?

where do i get the other bioses?

can you tell me which one i need to overclock it more?

I found Tictacs R2 version to be the best for me...

And what other Abit NF2 owners do...is just what has been stated...hot flash the old chip...

As for modding another BIOS chip like you mentioned...I honestly dont think it can be done...if so and was possible, I possible would of been on it and have done it already...

but hey, if you come across a mod to do that...then please post it...

Back