• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drive temp.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A decent temp depends on the drive. For most consumer ATA/SATA units, look for normal operating temperatures to be perhaps 5-10C above ambient. Do not press past about 50-55C, as most units hit their specified max around 60C. SCSI units will typically tolerate higher temperatures, and older units will almost always run very hot. If you've got the first of a generation, say, the first 7200RPM SCSI unit of a given manufacturer, the thing will be hot to the touch but survive just fine. Same thing goes at 10K and 15K. Just keep some airspace around the drives and/or provide even minimal airflow and you'll be fine.

i have a lian li PC-70 case, and i have the HD's sitting up in the 5.25" bay areas, and they stay about 35C, they are rather cool to the touch, and i quite like them up there, cool, quiet and out of the way, leaves a direct path to my ultra from the intakes

None of my 3 drive are over 30°C right now. When I do heavy transfers, or defrag, they go up to about 38°C. I hate hot hard drives. :)

My Seagate drives sit around 8C above ambient and my WD's at about 10C above ambient.

Back