• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg referb... buy or dont buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xstatic

What do you guys think about newegg's referb section? Some of the prices are really good. But is it worth it? What are your experience's with it? I've only bought 1 item from them in the past and I got everything in the retail box. Nothing missing. Last time it was a video card. I couldn't get it to flash and unlock the extra pipes but was still a good price at the time.

Let me know what you guys think.

I've bought memory and an mobo refurb and have had no issues. the only problem I had was the mobo, was just the board, I would at least like a I/O plate

its newegg so no matter what u can always return it, if i was to buy a refurb from anywhere it would be from there

It seems that with motherboards, everything is there completely like the retail package, at least in my experience of buying I think 4 of them. With video cards it has varied for me. I have gotten full retail everything. You would swear it was all brand new if you hadn't bought it refurbished. Then there are the ones that come with just the bare card, maybe a driver disk or power cable with it. I'm excited when I get everything retail, but not dissapointed when it is barebones, which is kind of rare.

i don't know about everyone else but i don't know if i could quite go with a referb thing. I would rather buy new, but i think i would go with referb over flat out used (ebay)

alot of refurbs are just returns that people can't make work for various reasons. i think if you are buying something like a video card (except the All In Wonder series of cards) refurb can be a good deal because it doesn't matter if you don't get the software or the d-sub to dvi adaptor. my first purchase from newegg was a refurb'd 8500DV that came in a white box with just the card, it was plagued with tons of 2D artifacts so i returned it with the RMA Repair option and they refunded all of my money - no problems. i later bought a refurbished all-in-wonder VE for half the price of retail and it came with all of the cables/software and has worked like a charm for years. i would buy a refurb'd video card again.

ticktock123 said:
but i think i would go with referb over flat out used (ebay)

i don't think alot of items in newegg's refurb section ever get sent back to the manufacturer, maybe some of them but most of them are probably no better then what you could get from ebay. newegg's return policy is several classes better then what you might get out of ebay, if anything.

as long as the refurb'd item is not something heavy like a monitor i say go for it, about the only thing you have to lose is a few bucks shipping...and maybe your system if the refurbished part happens to kill it.

Well Im thinking about getting a video card from the referb again. LAst time was full retail box which was real nice but my main question is the prices are soo cheap and Im just wondering if ppl are sending them back because they dont oc well or dont flash ect ect.. Mainly the x800xl with 512mb mem. They seem really nice and the price is amazing.

I think retail- openbox stuff people dont get underlocked and/or dont good clock. I got a full retail 6800le and it suck at overclocking without uppering the voltage. I bought 5 rams off them 2 ram were missing transistors and one dont work at stock freqz. 3 mobos, one was retail, one plain and 1 smoked at boot. I was thinking about get them 120mm heatsink but not sure if they come with mounting clip can anyone comfirm this? You may wanna check chiefvalue too because they price diff then egg. 85% of my parts are refurb :D

edited i think plain box one are repaired.

Last edited:
When these places say refurbished it generally means it's a brand new part a customer returned. Such as wrong part purchased. They are not used parts someone used over several months and traded in. Or a junk used part they've pulled out of a used computer.
Buying refurbished from NewEgg on anything should be just fine. If it was a defect and NewEgg put it back up for sale with the refurbished tag on it you can always send it back for another.

chris6104 said:
When these places say refurbished it generally means it's a brand new part a customer returned. Such as wrong part purchased. They are not used parts someone used over several months and traded in. Or a junk used part they've pulled out of a used computer.
Buying refurbished from NewEgg on anything should be just fine. If it was a defect and NewEgg put it back up for sale with the refurbished tag on it you can always send it back for another.

Newegg doesn't do that. Newegg returns all returned merchandise to the manufacturer and what they get in return is put up for sale as refurbished. I have however had an item delivered to me that was purchased new and was sent a product that was sent from the manufacturer as a refurbed product.

Quailane said:
Newegg doesn't do that. Newegg returns all returned merchandise to the manufacturer and what they get in return is put up for sale as refurbished. I have however had an item delivered to me that was purchased new and was sent a product that was sent from the manufacturer as a refurbed product.

I'm not totally sure they do that. I bought a refurb mobo from the egg that had a Newegg RMA slip in the box from the previous owner that said it was DOA, which it was. The egg was very sorry about sending me a dead mobo that they should have known if someone had read the RMA slip in the box. They made up for it and I'll still buy the occasional refurb from them.

All in all I'm 4 for 5 on working refurbs, and out of the mobos, 2 for 4 with them coming with accesories. All depends on how much of a pricecut your getting buying refurbed over new, because you should plan on not getting the accesories.

Back