• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to overclock my CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclock!

Hello everyone. I'm from Myanmar. I'm in possession of ASUS Motherboard P5Q PRO TURBO. I installed Intel Core2 Quad 2.5 Q8300 Processor in it. It have two 2GB DDR2 800 MHz Memory and Nvidia 9500GT Graphic Card. I want to know how can I overclock my computer. I'm beginner in overclocking field. Teach me some ideas on overclocking. Do I need to use AI Overclocking Page from BIOS Utility? Can I overclock from ASUS Probeit and some OC Third Party Softwares? Which one is better? BIOS or Third Party Softwares? I want to overclock my CPU to 2.5 to 3.0 GHz if possible without causing damage. I can't afford water cooling system. Please help me out with this.

:welcome: to OCForums!

BIOS overclocking is better, plus you won't have to re-enter all your settings on every reboot/restart like you would if you were using software. What cooling will you be using?

3.0GHz should be doable, you'll need to shoot for a 400MHz FSB with a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio to get DDR2-800 speed.

First thing you should do is set your RAM timings and voltage, manually, to their rated specs in the BIOS. Then, set the FSB:RAM ratio to 1:1 (this will make your RAM speed be twice whatever FSB you have set). Once that's done, you can work on raising the FSB in small increments and stress testing between increases. The only voltages you should have to mess with are vcore and NB voltage, and you may have to change the NB strap.

Here's a good guide to get you started: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

Back