• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is Newegg.com starting to suck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

I joined the buying frenzy from newegg since 2008, the gettin' was good, i built me and my wife a PC using some old parts and upgrade for only $400, back then that was a deal compared to best buy where i used to buy whole machines and dump my old one.

I had an issue with an order in 2009 where they double charged me by accident, causing my bank to hit me with a ton of NSF fee's, they ended up shipping both sets of items and neither of them were my order, wow! somebody got fired that day! This wasn't an error on my part because i used an E-Check since i was scared of using my credit card online at the time, they admitted they ran the order twice and i promptly return the items in the empty boxes they shipped to me which had -paid- shipping. along with that, i was shipped my correct items and a check for the amount + the fee's i incurred, now that is customer service! Thanks to Brandon Warshaw for taking care of me on that.

In 2010, i used my credit card and ordered a 5970, i was sent a 5870, i was being helped via email by "Luah Wong" ... wait a minute? Where's Brandon Warshaw and Christina Parrish? Newegg didn't outsource did they? either way, the responses were much more noticeably Copy+Paste than usual, and when it wasn't, it was extremely bad grammar, i didn't care as long as we can get this taken care of, now the problems begin, i shouldn't have to pay shipping to send back your mistake, and i know damn well i shouldn't have to pay a restocking fee on something that was never even opened, nor ordered by me. After arguing with the chinese or idian people for awhile i finally got the shipping waived and the restocking fee taken off... or did i? the shipping wasn't waived but the restocking fee was, fine, whatever, i just want what i ordered now, things get worse, they charge my on-file credit card again! for a 5970 in the amount of $799 (the price at the time) and begin shipping it out, i had to call my bank and file it as a fraudulent charge, which took over a week to get back to me /facepalm.

String of bad luck right? That's what i though, but recently it just got worse.

4 week ago i spent $2,385.95 in 3 GTX 580's and a few other things, the order was place on September 20th, and i still don't have it, do you want to know why? Me too, so after 3 days i asked them what the problem was, a couple of hours later i get an email addressing me as "Dear Rosann" who the hell are you talking too? nothing on my account is Rosann, i don't even know anyone named Rosann, this was sent by a "Cho Bao", The next Email i got a couple hours after my response was addressing me as "Dear Kevin" I am also not Kevin! nor do i know one of them either! This one sent by Caroline... ok good start... Zhao <- god damn it.

The following Email was addressing me correctly, but the order number was one that didn't belong to me, So i have called up my bank, they advised me to first call them and give them the "Merchant Assistance" number, a 1-866-number they can call to have my funds returned immediately, or rather "Expedited" shouldn't take but 24 hours my bank said once they make that call. I gave them the number and i waited a full 48 hours (weekdays) and my money still hadn't come back, calling them up again i kept getting Idian sounding people that made me go "what?" every sentence :mad:

From what i did understand is they process was on "hold" for an undisclosed reason, WTF? it's my money, you owe me an explanation, it's been 2 weeks at that point and you have $2400 of my money and i have nothing! I wanted to refrained from doing yet another charge-back/fraud call on them because when they do it right, they do it right, but god damn 40% of the time i order stuff they screw it up, but it doesn't end there.

Remember that Merchant Assistance number? According to a recent phone call, that number was never taken down or given to the finance department, i recorded the conversation on my phone i have all of my emails of there failure, and chat session saved from where i have given them the number on 3 different occasions, they have received a warning now from my bank that they will be taken to court if these funds are not refunded, because at this point (1 week later after the Merchant Assistance number was given), the bank is working on a fraudulent charge suit, they asked for all my evidence of the phone calls and emails in case they need to go to court over it, because from my understanding, the bank has actually credited my money back, or it's in the process of it (I don't see it in my balance yet) and they're going to go to court over it to get there money since i have had a charge back case in place for almost 1 month and after 7 business days, they start getting lawyers involved.

Once i get my money back, i am closing my newegg account, and going somewhere else.

Last edited:
I don't have as lengthy of a post to contribute, but I can say that in the short while i've been on this forum, i've noticed many customer complaints with the Egg. Guess they've fallen off :/

I don't have as lengthy of a post to contribute, but I can say that in the short while i've been on this forum, i've noticed many customer complaints with the Egg. Guess they've fallen off :/

Do you or anybody else have any suggestions of other places i can shop online? I don't have a microcenter near me, but i do have a Tiger Direct 30 miles away. Prefer to shop online since i typically work away from the city. Where i live is surrounded by farmland, i'm 15 miles from the closest wal-mart or even gas station.

Newegg
Once you know, you go somewhere else.

I would say the top 4 companies people purchase parts from on this site would have to be: Newegg, Microcenter, Tigerdirect, and Amazon. Though I would prefer to shop at Newegg or Tigerdirect in your case. Amazon isn't bad either, but in reference to your shipping newegg issues, im sure Amazon isn't the best in regards to customer service issues.

Never done business with Amazon, i typically stay away from ebay-esc stuff, to many dishonest people, sadly this whole deal has made me lose interest in buying anything PC related, it's got me real upset, being without my money for all this time, i feel really betrayed.

Well Amazon isn't Ebay-esque as far as I make my purchases. You can see way before you make the deal what company you're purchasing from, very often it being a reputable company, with reviews as well.

Hope it all gets worked out bud.

I have used Amazon, Tiger Direct, Ciruit City (they have some good deals if can catch them), there are a few others but I am drawing a blank currently but there are others that offer good deals and good customer service (who's native language is English)

@Kotha; Go to the Tiger Direct in Raleigh. I personally don't like it but if I need it now I will jump in the truck and go. Your gas is going to cost less than return shipping and everyone there was at least born in this hemisphere. I personally think that store is a little junky but hell it is not as nasty as Wally-World.

I use directron.com a lot. They're a little slower on shipping, and don't give you much of a break as compared to the Egg's shipping deals, but I always get my stuff packaged well and on time. Never any DOA merchandise either, and I've never bought their testing services.
No user reviews, but honestly most on the Egg are from those who know not what they're doing anyway, so it's not exactly 100% trustworthy...Google your reviews.

Texas is where they're at, so you'll probably get your stuff faster than I do in Michigan.

BTW, never really had a problem with the Egg, but it is a bit inconvenient having parts shipped from two different locations and arriving days apart. It puts a damper on playing with your new toys until all the parts arrive. Waiting two days between a drive cable and hard drive arriving is like waiting for Christmas twice!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I've been using them for years and have never had an issue that wasn't UPS's fault. Hopefully it will get straightened out.

i've been using new egg for a long time and i have noticed a decline but nothing to that extent, but lately all i have been buying is open box, refurb or really cheap ram.

maybe theres a certian price point when they decide to just screw people

Well i had about $220 in rebates, and promo codes that i kept from buying stuff from newegg, and when applying that to the order of things i wanted, i couldn't find it no where near that cheap anywhere else, specially with shipping being free, and no tax, North Carolina Tax is somewhere around 9% or upper 8% so i would go broke just in that spot.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T - For my Wife
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) - more RAM for my wife (she'll have 8GBs now for her art machine)
Noctua NH-D14 - For my wife's 1090T
Arctic Silver 5 - running low
3X MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition GeForce GTX 580 3072MB - One for her... Two for me :D lol
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133
Now we have 3 Batman Arkham City game coupons that i don't know what to do with, or atleast, one that we don't know what to do with.

All for just under $2000 shipped to my door, it's hard to beat that any where else, i tried and with the promo's i had for newegg it knocked off almost $220, not having to pay 8 or 9% tax on $2000 and $5 shipping... aslong as i can stay away from customer support, maybe i'll be ok.

I'm sorry about the issues that you've been having with the egg, I've been buying from them since around 2001 and never had any problems.

Kohta, I moved this over to Vendor Discussion, where it's better served.

I also PM'ed the Newegg Support account a link to this thread for you, to see how they will handle this very serious issue. Forum members spend a hell of a lot of money at Newegg each month on the assumption of good customer service, but if the customer service goes away there are other vendors we can deal with too.

A couple of other vendors you can look at are SuperBiiz.com and Mwave.com

Here are some RR links on the various stores as alternatives to Newegg listed in this thread for you:

SuperBiiz.com - 9.42 rating
Mwave.com - 9.17 rating
Directron.com - 8.06 rating
Tigerdirect.com - 8.18 rating
Amazon.com - 6.30 rating

Ive been using Newegg for at least 10 years like said before never an issue that wasn't UPS fault.Got to watch rebates some times.

The only thing I'm not liking is that in having the Tennessee warehouse, it is generally costing me a day on shipping, unless I can order by noon my time. Used to be with the time difference on the West Coast, I could do my shopping on my lunch at 1-3 PM, and it would still get out that day.

And they seem really slow in TN overall. Ive ordered in the AM and they still haven't gotten it out same day. Now again I'm going to watch a package sit about a half-hour from me, all weekend. And I actually used 2-day shipping...

Wow, it's been going on 2 days since I PM'ed newegg support and still no response to this issue. Hell, looking at the account, they haven't even visited the forums since the 11th either. I guess we are starting to see newegg turn into another big company that doesn't care about their customer service any more.

And that means to me at least, that it's about time to start looking at shopping alternatives now. With customer service such as this, you might as well shop Tigerdirect.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wow, it's been going on 2 days since I PM'ed newegg support and still no response to this issue. Hell, looking at the account, they haven't even visited the forums since the 11th either. I guess we are starting to see newegg turn into another big company that doesn't care about their customer service any more.

And that means to me at least, that it's about time to start looking at shopping alternatives now. With customer service such as this, you might as well shop Tigerdirect.:rolleye:

I knew those TV commercials would be the death of them! :bang head:

Fortunately I've still had 0 issues, but I guess that makes me worried if I would have an issue.

This definitely surprised me. I have purchased a ton of stuff from newegg since 2006 and even to this day everything has gone smoothly. I RMA'd a set of PC speakers three weeks ago (to pickup the SP2500's on 30% weekend sale) and my money was refunded about a day after they sent a notification e-mail that the package arrived to the warehouse. I am most especially surprised that your issue wasn't resolved when you called them up. When you are spending that much on one order you would think that they would get on it in a prompt fashion. This is just a guess but do you think some of those items became backordered and newegg is just stalling for time? I don't know what could cause them to be so horrendous with an multi-item order.

Anyway I have always had good shopping experiences with SuperBiiz, MWave, and TD when they had better prices on items than the egg, usually with free shipping as well.

Hope they take care of you soon, if you ever do decide to give them a second chance you are probably better off ordering most of the items seperately which is ridic lol but could help.

Back