• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trouble hooking mobo up to case (with pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BaconFatty

Hey so I'm hooking up an old mobo I have to make an snes box however I'm running into a slight issue.

This is what the pins on the mobo look like (bad pic but you can get the jist)
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/114754297113775875212/albums/5736539988283795217

The wires I have from the case are, I have a "Power SW" (blue/white), "Reset SW" (blue/white), "HDD LED" (red/white) and separated "Power LED+" (green) and "Power LED-" (White)

Anyway the issue I'me having is that the manual (link below) has a different pin set up (page 1-26) but its the same mother board so I'm a bit confused as where I need to plug these in at

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/K8V-MX/E2335_K8V-MX_h.pdf

Well, at least they color coded the board for you.
You can just mess with it until you get it right, there is no harm in this.

Also, sometimes you can find the pin-out printed on the silkscreen on the motherboard, near the header.

The ones that are labeled are the 19pins below that look like they've been soldered off, not the 9 pins that are color coated, I just dont want to short something out.

Shorting is exactly what you want to do.

Someone else might have a better suggestion down the line, or know more about this particular board.

I'd just start shorting pins with a screwdriver 'till I found the power switch (PC turns on)

Then start with the LEDs. Just watch for them to light up. Once you've found those, short until you find the reset switch.

All you are left with is speaker at this point. If I had to gamble on it, is the white (uncolored) part of the header.

Also, from that view, left side (of each color) would more likely be positive.

It looks like a standard "ASUS Q-Connector" to me.

Here, free pinout.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
A B C D E F G H I J
==============
(bottom of PCB)

2, 4, 5, 6, C, D, E, H - Not connected / key
1 - Power LED (+)
3 - Power LED (-)
7 - Speaker +5V
8, 9 - Speaker Ground (usually not used)
0 - Speaker Signal

A - IDE/HDD LED (+)
B - IDE/HDD LED (-)
F - Power Switch
G - Power Switch (GND)
I - Reset Switch
J - Reset Switch (GND)

It doesn't matters how you connect switches, they're non polarized (they just short two connections), but the LEDs must be connected in a special way. Usually, there're two wires, a white (or black) wire, and a color wire. The white or black is the cathode of the LED. Connect this one to ground / negative pin. The other one, the anode, goes into the colored one.

Yes, but if you look, the header is 2x5 not 2x10. I believe that the lower spot missing the header, is the q-connector. The other header is something else.

Oh! Ok! It's missing! Thought it was just too blurry. My apologies.

Then, they're color coded. Just keep trying. My bet is green is power LED, red is HDD LED, black is power, and blue is reset.

Back