• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a overclocking and a AMD virgin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quest

To day the rest of my parts for my up grade came. This is my first AMD system and my first time doing a CPU/HSF install. I went from a Cel 400 to a Duron 750 HSF is a OCZ Monster 2. The problem I am having is the temp readings can not be right. I get 29c for system temp and 38c for idle temps. I over clocked it to 825 7.5 x 110 default voltage and the idiol temp only went up 1c-2 39-40 no way this HSF could do this well. I think the problem is I had to push the temp diod down a tiny bit to get the CPU all the way into the socket. I would uninstall the CPU and re-adjust the diod but I think I cracked the CPU core I am a moron I know. The 2 questions are how can I get better temp reading with out taking off the HSF? This duron rocks so much I am going to upgrade to a T-bird in a month or 2. Is there any different HSF that don't use clips I don't want to crush a t-bird core? Or would it be better to get a glaciator and have a pro install it? BTW I backed back down to 750 till I can get better temp readings.

Quest the core crusher
Duron 750(7.5x100) Probly chipped core:(
Abit KT7A
IBM deskstar 60 20g 7200 RPM
Hercules 4500
128m cas 2 133 crucial ram
crappy diamond sound card
USR 56k modem.
Full tower case 1 fan blowing into the case and only the PSU fan to exhast the air out.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

if you want to get better temps [more accurate] one way or another the HSF has to come off. there are other HSF's that use a more freindly clip but if you a little more careful you should not have a problem, it's a bummer that AMD's core's are thin. someone else should post soon with a more freindly HSF for you.

good luck

Most AMD cores are crushed because the heatsink is held at an angle when trying to connect the clip. It's imperative that the HSF assembly be completely flat on the die BEFORE attempting to seat the clip on either side. I have been careful about this and never cracked a core. The pads on the CPU are there to cushion and protect the die from this type of pressure, but if you're holding the HSF at an angle to get one side of the clip on, then pushing down to get the other side on, then the pressure is greater on one area of the die and thus it tends to crack.

Moral of the story, just make sure you seat the HSF assembly squarely on the cpu before connecting the clip and you'll be fine.

I've got a Swiftech, and BOY! is it a nice install.. its got two clips that just hook onto the socket lugs, and the spring screws handle the rest... a couple of other good fans i've seen <i don't remember the models> but there was an Alpha that I had that was really nice, and a GlobalWin <i think that's what it was...> that a buddy loaned me... it worked well... but if you really want to air-cool and overclock that badboy Tbird... Swiftech MC462... that beast will surely make your oc'ing dreams much more lucid! hope this helps..

A better way to get an idea of your temps is to get a loaded temp...an idle temps only tells you how well your BIOS allows you to send the HLT signal to the cpu.

The way I look at temps is this....if you're stable (try Hoot's method) then your temps are probably fine. If you're unstable, then you might worry about them. Assuming you have the voltage up and such.

Ok I ran a program named CPU stability test.

I ran this for an hour and 35 min is this enough time? I upped the core voltage to 1.725 but left the clock at default 7.5x100. At idle temps were CPU 41-42c system temp was 32c it was a hot day for minnesota 88f in the house. After an hour and a half temps were a steady 45c for the CPU system temp was 32c. This test really hammers the system I could not really do anything but run the test. BTW I ran the option of cpu warming. I take it my MB temps are way off since it only raised 4-5c with the cheap HSF(OCZ monster2)?

Back