• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Inspiron 8200 Startup Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nemesis02

Registered
Hi, i own a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop and it has died on me recently due to overheating. The symptoms were that you would boot into windows and minutes after booting up the system would freeze completly and you would have to restart. However when you restart, the laptop doesn't even post and all that happens is the caps lock light blinks 10 times then powers down and every time you turn it on, it does the blinking thing. The screen doesn't even turn on either. Once I let it cool down, it will load into windows and the problem starts all over again. I've done some research and have found that the only way that people have fixed this issue was to send it to Dell, however my laptop is out of warrenty and the cost to repair a 4 - 5 year old laptop would be the same as buying a new one.

From what i've learned, people have said that the "power chips" need replacing, and another person said that sometimes the DC power card in the laptop that attaches the motherboard sometimes burns out and causes problems. I was wondering wether someone had a more definite answer to this problem. I've gone through all the standard trouble shooting, removing the laptop memory, putting one in at a time, swapping it for the other, resetting the heat sync, etc.

Laptop Specs
Windows XP Professional
1.8Ghz Pentium 4 M
1x128Mb standard memory
1x512Mb Generic memory
40Gb hd
CDRW
32Mb NVidia GeForce 440 Go

Thanks.

you need too take out the fans and heatsinks and blow them off/clean and use some as5 on the cpu/gpu a dell 5100 i had was completly blocked after cleaning it was 10-20C cooler some dell models are know for this as well as shutting down. its an easy 10 minute job.

if that fails try running just one memory dimm trying to find a problem there.

get back with us

I've tried without the generic memory, and the fans worked the last time i checked. A bit noisy, but still worked.

outhouse said:
you still need to take the heatsinks out to clean atleast verify its not full of lint/dust
I've already taken the laptop apart and cleaned it. Removed dust and all.

So dell has a lot of $700 off of anything over $1400 deals lately, they also have other laptops starting at $450......

NODES said:
are they all(fans) running?
I don't think it gets to the point where it can turn on the fans. So no, the two fans in the back don't start up. The screen does not come on, hard drive doesn't spin up, nothing. As soon as i turn on the laptop, the caps lock like blinks 10 times then shuts off. It's doesn't even get past the post or anything.

Lionsault_100 said:
So dell has a lot of $700 off of anything over $1400 deals lately, they also have other laptops starting at $450......
I already have a new laptop, i would just like to get my old one working again rather than throwing it away.

Back