• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman ZM-nb47J + fan...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TombKeeper

Anyone know how good the zalman zm-nb47j (blue model) would work with a 40mm fan blowing 9 cfm...??

That's probably the best N/B cooler that would fit on my nf7-s with a sp97....unless you guys think something else would work better (Swiftech mcx159 won't fit without trimming and cutting; the Northpole won't fit either...).

I am using that HS on my Asus northbridge.
No fan however, although I have considered putting a 40mm blowing through from the side.
The sink is quite tall and not all the fins are the same height, which makes mounting a fan on the top somewhat problematical.

As my board came with passive NB cooling I'm not sure that the addition of a fan is really necessary.

The fan would be installed either:
a) on top using... glue? or something
b) on one side with screws tightened to the pins (?)

I've heard that the zm-nb47j with a fan can come within about 5 celsius of the swiftech.... i just wanted to know what people here think though.....If the zalman was out of copper, i would've gotten it already...but it's AL....

The zalman is supposed to drop the n/b temp by 2-3 celsius vs the stock ACTIVE cooler on the board....read a review

Well, I also had one of the Zalman's mounted on my video card and used doublesided sticky foam to mount a 40mm fan to the top of it.

The foam tape held the fan in place (upsidedown) with no problem for a couple of weeks.

Take a look at ZM-NB32J, I have installed a Sunon 4cm on it with screws, pretty nice.

i think the nb47j is supposed to be better than the 32j... the 32j also doesn't cover the entire northbridge....

ZM-NB32J

ZM-NB47J

Their base have the same size.

Not sure how much better is the ZM-NB47J, I doubt it'll make much of a difference, also, it seems to be impossible to fit a fan on it with the protrusion.

How about:

Swiftech mcx 159 without a fan...?

Thermalright NB-1 without a fan....?

Nobody else has any opinions?

I'm guessing the Swiftech mcx-159 a or r would be the best with or without a fan....am i wrong?

How high are you planning on volting it? You probably won't even need a fan unless you plan on running some crazy voltage through it. The Zalman will work but it still may need some trimming, my gold version won't even fit a fan with my Zalman 7000 on my nb. As long as you have good case airflow you should be fine. I run 1.9V through mine and it gets warm but not hot enough to worry.

Back