• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright 120 vs. Thermalright 120 Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImprtRcr

Hey folks, just wanted to put in another review on an air cooler for reference. I did the 9700NT vs. TRU 120 some time back, now, it's the TRU 120 vs. TRUE 120.

Results: (120mm push/pull fan combo for both tests)

Thermalright 120a 0% Load: 39/40c
Thermalright 120a 100% Load :66/69c

(Lapped)
Thermalright 120 Extreme 0% Load: 34/36c
Thermalright 120 Extreme 100% Load: 62/66c

Thermal Paste:
Tuniq TX-2

Ambient:
74f

Processor:
Intel Q6600 3.6Ghz 1.475v

For the record, the TRUE will have to be lapped so I will follow up on the new tempatures when I have lapped it. The TRU is flawlessly flat.

DSCF4493.jpg

DSCF4491.jpg

TRUIdle.jpg

TRULoad.jpg

TRUEIdle.jpg

TRUELoad.jpg

Once the TRUE 120 is lapped, the tempatures should be closer together and lower.

Edit: Just ordered this kit, should have the new temps up within a week.

Last edited:
Nice review , only 2c difference @load.
One off topic question : why you use IE and not FF ? :D

This is typical, I did some checking before I bought my tru and the word was 3c difference

Before you lap could you try using the washer trick. Get a washer with a 3/8th inch hole and place it in between the mounting bracket and the base? I hear pennies will work too. But you need two of them and the washer fits so well in that guide hole.

Love to see the results on that one.

great work!!!!!!

This is typical, I did some checking before I bought my tru and the word was 3c difference

Before you lap could you try using the washer trick. Get a washer with a 3/8th inch hole and place it in between the mounting bracket and the base? I hear pennies will work too. But you need two of them and the washer fits so well in that guide hole.

Love to see the results on that one.

great work!!!!!!

Thanks! Can you hook me up with a link for the washer mod please?

Nice review , only 2c difference @load.
One off topic question : why you use IE and not FF ? :D

Thank you as well. I use IE because I like simplicity and it's just my preference :)

Thanks! Can you hook me up with a link for the washer mod please?

The thihg a mobob that juts out from the mounting bracket and fits into the hole in the center of the base? You put a 3/8 washer right there. The mounting scews get a couple more threads to work with and more pressure is applied to the cpu. You just need a washer with a 3/8 in hole.

here is a pic

http://www.exoid.com/?attachment_id=96

link

http://www.exoid.com/?page_id=94

Anyway it would be nice if you can post resultts before lapping and then after with and without the washer.

Will do! I should get my lapping kit within a few days. I will most likely lap and use the washer at the same time. Most TRUE 120's have horrible bases, I do not want to concave the processor more with the washer if the cooler is not flat as I am not willing to lap my 1.275vid Q6600 :D

Any information on the temperature advantage of using push-pull (2 fans) instead of push (1 fan) on the Ultra 120 Extreme?
:(

It's about 2c difference but also helps out the rest of your system with some strong air flow.

Hey guys, I lapped my TRUE, which was a PITA. Tempature dropped 1c. My final results are edited up in my original post.

Thanks ImprtRcr, appreciated.

So the temp difference after lapping it was only 1c ? -,-

Anyways, do you recommend the TRUE for overclocking ? I'm grabbing a Q9550 in a couple of days and I've been thinking of getting TRUE along ?
What do you reckon?

I have the 120E BLACK...I love it. It doesn't really have any different performance to its 120E cousin, but it looks sweet in my black case :)

Back