• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gearing up for serious HTPC use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

Lately i have been getting all excited about Apple TV.

I dont own it, and it looks like i wont need to own it anyway.

Heres how things are. I have a PC that i made for HTPC use, but, i never actually got around to setting it up for HTPC use, since i needed to get a TV tuner for my cable to run on it.

So i just used it for movies (windows media player) and browsing internet on my tv and friends used it at a normal pc, with keyboard and mouse when they are over.

This has got to stop now! I finally got around to learning about all this stuff, and found that i really like XBMC. So im going to run that on my htpc, buy a damn tuner and get all my channels setup on it.

This brings questions?

1. Which tuner? I know it needs to have DVB-C since i run cable, but it has to be a digital one to get the HD channels on the cable i would presume? (If any danish people are lurking, its for Yousee Cable use)

2. How hard is it to get a Logitech Harmony remote to work with this? Dont want to buy one until i know for sure?

3. I am rambling on about XBMC, but is there a better one? If yes, which and why should i change my mind since i do like XBMC.

Thanks

XBMC doesn't have any video recording capability. You can't watch live tv with XBMC alone. You will either need a PVR build or use alternate software. Mediaportal, Windows Media Center, and GBPVR (NextPVR) are a few you can try. It also all depends on what you are trying to record from (cable, FIOS, Satellite).

XBMC doesn't have any video recording capability. You can't watch live tv with XBMC alone. You will either need a PVR build or use alternate software. Mediaportal, Windows Media Center, and GBPVR (NextPVR) are a few you can try. It also all depends on what you are trying to record from (cable, FIOS, Satellite).

Okay.

Well, what i want to do is, watch regular TV, and also tv over the internet. XBMC has most of what im looking for, but i can its not the complete solution.

I want to run linux on the rig, and just have boot straight into media software.

I know that one of my neighbours uses windows media center, but i would really to be able to add online viewing places like, Veetle and flashsportstream.

I have alot of thinking and testing to do i think.

Okay.

Well, what i want to do is, watch regular TV, and also tv over the internet. XBMC has most of what im looking for, but i can its not the complete solution.

I want to run linux on the rig, and just have boot straight into media software.

I know that one of my neighbours uses windows media center, but i would really to be able to add online viewing places like, Veetle and flashsportstream.

I have alot of thinking and testing to do i think.

If you want to run linux and record tv then MythTV will be your best bet. XBMC doesn't record TV, but uses a backend software that does record TV and get a PVR build of XBMC. I tried one for windows and it was ok, but not all that great.

Back