• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 - making a repair disc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

I made a W7 system image using its backup software. But then it asked if I wanted to make a repair CD (never heard of it before). Sounded good to me, so I said sure. W7 proceeded to generate an error and say it couldn't make the disc. A little Google later, according to MS you have to do the following to make the disc happen:

Boot your system using the W7 installation disc

Agree to install again (no panic, it won't install anything),

At the main window, click Repair from the lower left corner.

Select the Command Prompt from the Repair menu

At the command prompt type RECDISC

Choose the correct CD/DVD drive at the popup prompt.

Leave your installation CD in the drive until asked to replace it.

Your repair disc should be produced now.

The repair disc can be used to fix damaged W7 installations, install a previously stored disc image or repair bad boot files. Potentially useful.

Last edited:
Typical...the old "you can't get there from here" routine.
It seems crazy that it will ask if you want to make a rec disk and not be able to accomplish it in windows, and not explain that you have to do it in a command prompt :screwy: ....somebody in that department forgot to add the code that will let you do it in windows? :bang head
Maybe they are too busy looking for easter eggs in win98 :beer:

Typical...the old "you can't get there from here" routine.
It seems crazy that it will ask if you want to make a rec disk and not be able to accomplish it in windows, and not explain that you have to do it in a command prompt :screwy: ....somebody in that department forgot to add the code that will let you do it in windows? :bang head
Maybe they are too busy looking for easter eggs in win98 :beer:

Does seem weird, but MS knows about it because that was their solution. Hopefully that gets fixed in the final release.

Last edited:
Back