• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need fast help on PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiteSmoker17

i got an old ak31 mobo running a athlon 1600+ pal, 1 cd-rom and 1 HD i need to know what is the smallest PSU i can get to put in this. It is for my wifes comp and she only does the email web surfing thing. as of now im pretty much broke with christmas and all so i need to get a cheap small psu to replace it with.

the rails on the psu that is in there are within the 5% range but both fans inside are not running...i get no air flow through it. i have opened it up and both fans are 2 pin connectors so im not sure if i can get replacements for them or not. i was about to order a new hs/fan cause her temps are 32c abient 55c cpu die so now as i write this im not sure if i need a new hs or psu...

i have no other fans inside the case other than the hs and the psu

thank you in advance

Last edited:
A 300w sparkle would be a fine choice. As far as replacing the fans, as long as the fan headers on the PSU are not fried, you can replace the fans.

I doubt you need a new PSU. Just get some replacement fans that use molex connectors. A new CPU heatsink may not be required if airflow is fine with the fans running. Ensure that there is no dust clogging the heatsink.

ckj said:
A 300w sparkle would be a fine choice. As far as replacing the fans, as long as the fan headers on the PSU are not fried, you can replace the fans.

so i could use the connectors and splice in a new fan? i went to newegg and didnt see any fans with 2pin connectors.

2pin fan headers are just those without the rpm sensor. Depending on the actual connector used, you should be able to just get 3pin-to-molex converters to run them off the power supply molex connectors instead of the motherboard.

well the fans im talking about are the 2 that are in the allied psu. so i should be able to get a 3pin and put it into the psu and just not get speed sensor??

Back