• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

black screen after windows splash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sona

Registered
Today I wanted to make a ingame video so I oc'ed my card using the built in OC'er and chose the automatic detection for best oc. I've done this before and nothing had happened. But today halfway during loading the game my computer crashed. I restarted it and the screen just goes black after the windows logo.

So i boot into safe mode, remove all drivers and used driver cleaner. Then I boot back into normal mode and everything runs fine. Then I try to install drivers again, I made a total of about 10 attempts and only got 2 result, either one or another:

1) Driver installs completely and restart computer, then the computer gets the black screen after windows splash again.
2) Driver intalls to 50% then computer restarts automaticlly and boots fully, but it is still running in low res and color with no recognition of the new drivers.

So is my graphics card dead or is something wrong with my drivers?? I tried newer drivers and older drivers and omega drivers. and each time used driver cleaner.

Any help is appreciated thanks.

2) Driver intalls to 50% then computer restarts automaticlly and boots fully, but it is still running in low res and color with no recognition of the new drivers.
I had such an issue but the problem was the card. It is possible you screwed up smth. Your card could be broken. But of course i'm not sure. =)

sounds like you checked the "apply settings after restart" when you Oc'd it. I would recommend not checking this box until you've made sure the overclock has taken. There is a Function key you can hit during post that will load default settings. It's quite possible you've damaged the card. Did you work up to the overclock or use the 'auto' settings? Maybe hit the F(?) key during reboot and it might reset the clocks in the cards bios, that's were the problem most likely is, which is a different issue than the drivers.

mrgreenjeans said:
sounds like you checked the "apply settings after restart" when you Oc'd it. I would recommend not checking this box until you've made sure the overclock has taken. There is a Function key you can hit during post that will load default settings. It's quite possible you've damaged the card. Did you work up to the overclock or use the 'auto' settings? Maybe hit the F(?) key during reboot and it might reset the clocks in the cards bios, that's were the problem most likely is, which is a different issue than the drivers.
wouldn't those setting be gone since I resintalled the drivers?

I think the overclocking is in the cards bios, the drivers just allow you access to the settings. Couldn't hurt to give it a shot. Go to nVidia's site and get the F(key) and try it on a restart. I know the disclaimer when you activate the manual settings tells you the key to hit and it's upon Post, not after windows loads, which to me suggests it's a card bios and not a driver issue.

fx 5500 pci, bought it a month ago.. my computer is so old I might as well get a new one.. got my comp in 2001 lol

sona said:
fx 5500 pci, bought it a month ago.. my computer is so old I might as well get a new one.. got my comp in 2001 lol

Ouch...yeah, you might want to think about an upgrade.

Back