• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Broadband Connections in a home network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xCarne_Asada

my aunt has been complaining about dsl how it isnt always on and how it's slow yadda yadda yadda. my dad doesnt want to change because he cant tunnel into work with a cable modem. this may sound retarded but bare with me.

We want to get a cable modem for downstairs. we have numerous computers downstairs that want to use the cable so i would need to get a router.

my dad will also have a router upstairs for his computer and laptop and the dsl

i need a switch coming off the cable modem router to connect my computer, xbox, and ps2.

I would probably get another linksys 4 port wired router.

Question(s)

How would i configure this all so my dad uses his DSL and we use our cable and my dad can still see the downstairs computers through the network?

where should i plug the switch into? Uplink or another Port

if there is a better way to do this tell me.

Can you create two seperate networks? One on cable and one on DSL? That would be the easiest.

If not, then my 2nd question is how many IPs does your Cable ISP give you? If it's less than the number of devices you are going to connect, then you want a router for that connection aswell.

I would suggest setting up all your computers to static

My biggest concern is why he doesn't feel like he can tunnel into work with a cable connection? That seems to be the biggest hang up and also the easiest and cheapest solution, let's work on that.

my dad said people at work cant tunnel in with cable so i told him to let me borrow his laptop and try to tunnel in at my friends house and he hasnt given it to me

i think he is just trying to see if i will forget about it

being on cable or dsl wont effect your ability to use VPN, unless your DSL has a static ip and his job's VPN requires a static ip.

You can request a static IP from your cable company. I need to use VPN for my work as well and I'm on a cable modem. It may just be a question of setting your router up to forward to the correct ports. I highly recommend cable over DSL anyday. In other words, I think your dad is yankin' your chain. ;)

HMM my dsl is dynamic.....

yeah i got the feeling he was yanking my chain, when he said installation and everything was $480. Called up Earthlink, everything is free.

I would definatly investigate using a VPN on your cable connection before creating a very complicated network like you are talking. I have never had an issue using a VPN with my cable connection.

Okay...First things, first...where in the world did your aunt get the idea that DSL isn't always on and that it's slow. I'd like to see her compare 56K modem speeds to DSL speeds. Second, your dad is either yankin your chain or doesn't know that much....I'm guessing the first is probably true...He probably wants to hog his DSL connection.

I don't know about other brands, but my router provides static rounting to connect between networks.

xCarne_Asada,
What type of DSL modem do you have ? If it has a USB port then it could be very easy to setup.

Plug the DSL modem directly into your dads machine, and tell it to always use that for internet etc.

Also add a NIC into your dads machine that allows it to connect to the LAN. Your dads laptop will be able to use the DSL and the Cable, but aslong as you set the DSL to the default connection he should be ok.

nerdlogic said:
Okay...First things, first...where in the world did your aunt get the idea that DSL isn't always on and that it's slow.

I was wondering this.

the dsl and router have to be turned off or refreshed every so often, because it falls offline and wont reconnect automatically

the dsl is "fast" but her and i want cable because it's faster in our area.

Back