• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Dry Thermal Paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Douken

I got a PS3 as a gift from a friend. The PS3 is damaged with YLOD, so I just need to fix it and it's mine. Well, by disassembling it I reached the "remove the heatsink" part. Thing is that it looks someone tried to repair it before as there are a lot of screws missing and it also looks the person applied thermal paste. Thing is that he applied tooooo much, it got dry and now it has a vinyl texture, kinda like some sort of gum, is elastic and everything and returns to the same place when u stretch it therefore vinyl. Well, I can't take the heatsink because it's very hard, is like stuck there. So, in these cases, what do you do?

I would get a blow dryer and heat up the heatsink thoroughly. You will probably be able to get it off that way.

I tried that but I got scared that I would fry something as it got really really hot to the touch.... Untouchable?

Use some cloth to protect your finger from that hot HS, the important step is not try to pull it at the 1st time, try a gentle and slight twisting move to see if the gunk is softened by the heat, once you can twist it, try twist more and pull it "slowly".

Back