• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bummer, FreeBSD dosn't like Abit NF7-S mobos.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I was reading the FreeBSD usenet and it looks like I'll have to wait awhile before installing it on my new Abit NF7-S, AMD XP1700 TbredB box. It isn't ready for this cutting edge hardware yet. It will be evenutally but just not now.

I'll try a Knoppix Live CD and see how it likes Linux.

The latest NVidia drivers from www.nvidia.com support the latest nForce2 integrated graphics, if you need them.

As for FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD I havent really tried them. I think I might get a hold of a second PC and give em a shot.

I haven't really been keeping up with the lists lately but I'm running freebsd on an nf7 without a problem. However, I don't use the onboard stuff and don't have sata as with the -s.

I want v5 so I'll wait until last to try it.

What boot loader does it use?

Can you leave FreeBSD's bootloader in its own partition and keep it off the mbr? That way I can use a third party boot manager to tag BSD's loader and initiate the bootup.

Chrisdafu said:
Have you tried 4.8 ?
If that was directed at me, yes. I buildworld about once a month. So I'm running 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Fri Apr 4 at this point.

As far as bootloader, you can either modify the MBR, use the native bootloader, or specifiy none and use third party software. I've used all of those methods at one point or another. Though now I just use the first ;)

With XOSL you can boot all OS. Linux still needs grub or lilo on their boot/root partition so XOSL tickles the BL
which in turn tickles Linux kernel.

I'm having second thoughts about multi booting half a dozen OS on one box. I think I'll just stick with w2k and one other. Linux or Unix, that is the question...

Back