• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP ME with my FAN arrangement! To shroud or not to shroud...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

I'm getting a fedco 2-333 heatercore, part number 399095 at autozone for 24bucks After tax.

Dimensions are: 9.5 inches long 7.375 inches wide, 2 inches deep.

7.375 inches is 187.32500mm WIDE

9.5 inches is 241.3 millimetersmm LONG

Possible Fan configurations:

Two 120MM fans shrouded

like this

Code:
_______
| |   | |
| |___| |
| |   | |
| |___| |

The sides represent the area that's shrouded or the area the shroud covers.

Or:

a 180mm fan with two 60mm fans at the top (or bottom)

like this:
Code:
______
|     |
|     |
|_____|
|  |  |
|__|__|

Or:

Two 120mm fans with 6 40mm fans at the side

like this:

Code:
______
|   |_|
|   |_|
|___|_|
|   |_|
|   |_|
|___|_|

NOTE: in the ACII above each square represents a fan, to give you the idea of the fan arrangements.

If you have any more fan arrangement suggestions please let me know! Otherwise please vote on which you think would give me the best performance. Thank you.

Last edited:
I would put a pair of 120x38mm fans with a shroud in pull configuration. That would give you the quietest airflow and since it is in pull, it would be more efficient than push. If you really wanted to you could put a pair in pull and a pair in push. Make sure your should is at least 1" in depth. Also.. have you looked into a blower fan? (if you have that much space for it) Take a $15 desktop blower fan and putting it on the HC, they're originally designed for blowers anyway.

Edit: Something like this fan, I actually have two blowers from these, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007VU12O/ref=nosim/002-2327128-6796054?n=284507

Last edited:
small fans = more noise, less air flow

So forget any small fans, probably the 180 fan will move way more air than 2 x 120 so I'd go for the 180 fan.

Back