• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why would refresh rate affect stretching..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigglish

I just formatted and installed the driver for my card. For some reason, inside of Catalyst Control Center, when I change my refresh rate to 60 or 61, my screen is bunched up. Plenty of black space on either side(only horizontal). If I change it to 75, it stretches correctly, but is blurry.
WTF am I doing wrong here and would this be affected by refresh rate?
I'm really confused now. I changed it to 59, and everything looks great. Lower refresh rate will affect gaming, right?

You are trying to run a refresh your monitor cant handle and you are getting strange results. Run it at what it's rated and you wont have any problems. Can your monitor run 75hz? Many LCDs state they will support 75hz, but at a lower resolution. This could make it look fuzzy.

who knows, mabe its how the driver is seeing it in windows?. that doesent sound right.

either way gaming should only be affected if your using v-sync in your games. that way it'll be out putting all those frames but since the monitor will be refreshing 59 times a seccond you wont see all of them unless its equal or less than the refresh rate.

i guess thats still a major advantage of CRTs, the refresh rates on those were high and came in small sizes, i dont imagine there are very affordable LCDs that are 120 or 240 hz that are computer sized with decent resolutions

Ok, that makes sense, but what monitor can't run at 60hz?
My monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254035

not all monitors run at 60hz exactly, they usually run at around 59.x Hz, and they just round it up saying 60hz.

sounds like you're trying to force the refresh rate manually, but for what? to squeeze out 1 more fps?

I had a 720p monitor that got 75hz at 1024x768 only.

I'm not aware of any setting in Catalyst that allows you to change refresh rate though, only in Nvidia's control panel. In fact, the OS should be hiding modes you can't display and the maximum you should see is 60hz (aka 59hz).

It's generally a very bad idea to run a LCD at 75hz, even if it will accept such a signal. It causes RTC to use improper voltages and could actually damage the monitor.

not all monitors run at 60hz exactly, they usually run at around 59.x Hz, and they just round it up saying 60hz.

sounds like you're trying to force the refresh rate manually, but for what? to squeeze out 1 more fps?

I had a 720p monitor that got 75hz at 1024x768 only.

I'm not aware of any setting in Catalyst that allows you to change refresh rate though, only in Nvidia's control panel. In fact, the OS should be hiding modes you can't display and the maximum you should see is 60hz (aka 59hz).

Not trying to force it, I was trying to USE it. I couldn't even use 60, even though it said 60,61 and 75 were all acceptable by my card.
The option is under Desktop Properties.

It's generally a very bad idea to run a LCD at 75hz, even if it will accept such a signal. It causes RTC to use improper voltages and could actually damage the monitor.

Thanks for that information. I was only trying to get a refresh rate that didn't stretch my screen to weird proportions.

Back