• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

48degrees w/ AMD 1700+ with Dragon Orb? Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dmlow

Registered
I am getting near 50 degrees celsius with a dragon orb 1 4900rpm fan and a 92 mm case fan. My case is roomy and fan can "breathe" well. Why is it still so high?:eh?:

First, you must make sure the Dorb is seated properly on the CPU die. Did you use Arctic Silver? Next, try removing the case cover to see if that lowers temps. If it does, then setting up your case with better airflow (more fans in better places) should help. What temp are you getting for the System?

I am using Radio Shack heatsink compound. Is arctic silver that much better? It is cooler w/o case but I should think a non-o/c cpu would be fine with my current setup.

Arctic Silver would prolly help 2 to 4C (just a guess).
It depends on how you define "fine" - if your system works then that is "fine" isn't it?
Is that temp at idle or under some loading?

I concur with the above:D
But also:

You can't entirely trust temps reported by a motherboard either- verifying the case temp is pretty easy and you can see how far off it is, just use an indoor/outdoor thermometer.

If temps do improve with the case side off then you will definitely benefit if you improve case cooling: if the air in your case is hot, then all the hsf does is cool the cpu with hot air. Case airflow is funny though: fan locations and speeds and flow patterns are an art and may take a lot of experimentation to get the best results!

The last opinion I have to express is: with temp sensors being iffy, two of the best indicators of whether your cpu is too hot or not are:

gently touch the heat sink with your fingers- if it is HOT than your temp is too high! If just warm, you may be fine.

Is the computer stable? If the pc is rock steady, then the temp may be ok- if you crash a lot or get a lot of errors than temp is one of the most likely causes (48c is about where mine start to go nuts!)

Good Luck.

dmlow said:
I am getting near 50 degrees celsius with a dragon orb 1 4900rpm fan and a 92 mm case fan. My case is roomy and fan can "breathe" well. Why is it still so high?:eh?:
What fan are you using to exhaust the hot air? The DOrb1 is all aluminum & with a really slow fan you just can't expect much from it.

The suggestion have already been laid out and they're probably whats giving you the high degrees.

I do think it is correct as where my friends, friend had a Volcano 7 and his idle temperatures were near 44 because he had no airflow his cables were everywhere and his panels were on.

If you want to reduce the temperature big time probably by alot heres what you should do, order some Arctic Silver II and then buy case fans(I'd stay 120mm and you can mod it in your case) get four 120mm that push near 100cfm.

Two intake, at the bottom front.
Two exhaust at the back top.

And in the future you should add a blowhole, cut your IDE cables up, zip tie your PSU wires.

And possibly lap the Orb because Orb's are very poorly made.

That will just bring the temperatures down to maybe 43 degrees.

Is this full load or idle?

Hey the Orbs.. Ok so they do suck (see Mis Sig) But they work.

But the previous post is right. You could do much better with another hsk. You could get that coolermaster heatpip for like 30-35 bucks (Even though I dispise coolermaster.)

The Sk6 isint too bad of price. Neither is the Glacier. I myself is saving for the Swiftec msx462.

I am not spending that freaking much on a HSF! Another OC site said the D-Orb actually beat the MC70 in their tests so I may switch to the 7000 rpm one they used. As far as the other HSF you all metioned the reviews showed them tied or behind the mc70. If you can put two-and-two together the D-Orb dont sound bad to me.

dmlow said:
I am not spending that freaking much on a HSF! Another OC site said the D-Orb actually beat the MC70 in their tests so I may switch to the 7000 rpm one they used. As far as the other HSF you all metioned the reviews showed them tied or behind the mc70. If you can put two-and-two together the D-Orb dont sound bad to me.

Ok, ima smack you with a large rainbow trout.

First the Swiftec mcx462 (I shold know I JUST TODAY bought one) are around 65 bucks. And it and The alpha pal 8045 are the top performers in air cooled market. And grr... maybe even that dreaded coolermaster heatpipe.

If you want semi independant reviews on this take a look. I can only find the dragon orb 3 the supposedly "good" 7k rpm model (one I have) and still poop.

http://www.pcfusion.com.au/reviews/tt-orb3/page3.shtml
"The price tag is a bit high for considering the product doesn't preform that well"

The review performed at Overclocker cafe was compared to an inferior smaller

I learned my lesson about ThermalFake products (Also see sig), but last night placed an order for my Alpha PAL8045 with the Delta Super Screamer 80mm (68.5CFM I believe). Do not trust Orbs, the only one you can trust is Panasonic or Panaflo (Articooler?).. which ever one HP used/uses on RISC processors.

I don't suggest orbs for anything above 1.1GHz, not like I would suggest them in the first place, because cheaper and better HSFs are always the option when looking at ThermalFake.

~Vash~

dmlow said:
Sorry I submitted in the center of thought. give me a min

dmlow said:

Ok, Now I dont want to get heated and loose my objectivity BUT I take this as a bit of an insult "If you can put two-and-two together the D-Orb dont sound bad to me"

When I arrived at the forums I had asked MANY MANY Times (You can check my previous posts if you do not belive me) is the Dragon orb 3 a good heatsink or are theyre better. And almost everyone told me get something else. So it is NOT just me. Im only trying to give you solid advice for your benefit. And the price of the Dragon orb 3. The brand new super good 7k rpm model is 27 bucks. Theyre are so many better for a nominal increase in price.

Milenium Glacier II Really GOOD 33.75
Global win Cak II 38 Its ok 31.00
Thermalright SK6 (Good too) 33.00
ALPHA PAL8045U Super 47.00
Or The top dawg (In my humble opinion. Also probably since I just bought it)
Swiftech MCX462 Heatsink 69.00

Even so stated you can still get an affordable good performing heatsink for less than 35 bucks. But. If you do not belive me please ask other people in the forums. they will give you their advice as well.

As for me. The Dragon Orb 3 BEFORE overclocking was NOT sufficent for my system. See my sig I have plenty of fans in my system. Im done. I honestly did not mean to rant. I just wanted to get a part across.

Last edited:
I said this in one thread and I will say it again:

http://cluboverclocker.com/guides/top_ten.htm

They update weekly, or used to (Last update Dec 22nd), and pick 12 HSFs they tested on their Tbird 1.33 OC'ed to 1.4GHz. They get placed by going through four categories, price, performance/value, quality, and customer feedback.

For about the 6th-7th week in a row DO3 hasn't even placed in the 12 selected, but it's always sitting down there in the "Ones That Did Not Place" bin. This week's number 1 HSF according to those four categories is Swiftech MCX462 and just below that the Aruka-7228 (We reviewed that one here as well), and the Alpha PAL8045 with the Delta Super Screamer 80MM placed third.

~Vash~

Um what is MC70??? Anyway I had a WBK38 and you can get it really cheap now for $20 if you can find them. I lapped the thing and the max temp I get is about 44c. Now I have the older style swifty 462 and I am doing 40c with the delta 68 until I fried my Tbird.

I know that not everyone have money to spend on hsf. But remember this "what you paid is what you get". So don't complain if you get crappy temps.

PS Now I got a water setup, waiting for my board and Cpu.:p

f155mph said:
Um what is MC70??? Anyway I had a WBK38 and you can get it really cheap now for $20 if you can find them. I lapped the thing and the max temp I get is about 44c. Now I have the older style swifty 462 and I am doing 40c with the delta 68 until I fried my Tbird.

I know that not everyone have money to spend on hsf. But remember this "what you paid is what you get". So don't complain if you get crappy temps.

PS Now I got a water setup, waiting for my board and Cpu.:p
This is the Mc-370.

Its a smaller older version of newer swiftec models

http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/cooling/mc370/

dmlow said:

Also the Website (Overclockers Cafe) I did find it the Heat Sink fan they compared is the Draon Orb 3 7000 RPM fan. And you have the older ORB 1 4900 rpm. Not even near as good. (Not to state the orb 3 is good.

A few points;

1. The ClubOverclocker heatsink guide uses the Thermistor for temp readings so it's up to you if you want to trust something that has been proven to be inaccurate;

2. The DOrb1 is not a good choice. That is not an opinion but the truth.

3. The DOrb3+ Cu however is acceptable cooler. Just take a look at the articles from Overclockers.com. It beats at least one HSF mentioned in this thread.

4. Since you do have to upgrade to another HSF that is made out of copper or even just the base you can do much better than the DOrb3+ Cu.

Is a 300MHz+ O/C @ 1.93V acceptable? I have been happily using the DOrb3+ Cu but if I could've got something better at the time I would have:beer:

Back