• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for an ATI???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mynihilism

I have a Chaintech TI4200 that i love but i have an oportunity to upgrade because of some extra cash, ruffly $150. i have been reading and looking at alot of review and benchmarks of the 9600pro, 9600xt vs the fx5600, fx5600u. i'm leaning twards the 9600pro,xt because of all the bad hype that nvidia has gotten for the crappy fx series. I just want to make sure that i do an upgrade from my ti4200.

So who has a 9600 series that they are in love with and can talk me into it?

The only upgrade I would consider getting from what you have is a 9700pro, or a 9800pro. I don't think you'll see enough gains to make it worth your cash otherwise. The biggest difference between the 9600 and the 4200 is in the 9600's ability to run higher image quality settings (AA, and AF). 9800pro's can be had brand new off of newegg cor $210. I think it would be worth the extra money. Honestly.

If you really wanna get a big upgrade, wait till Nvidia and ATI's product cycle comes around here in a month or two and get an Nvidia NV40, or and ATI R4XX chipset. That of course will cost you even more when they roll out. But it may be worth the wait...

Agreed with TruckyJ. The best upgrade for you at this point is a 9700 Pro or 9800 Pro. The 9600 Pro wouldn't be that much of an improvement in comparison to what you have.

If I were in your place, I would just wait until the next product cycle comes out. It will give you an opportunity to save up more $$, and possibly buy something based on the NV40 or R4XX, and if you can't, the option of buying a 9800 Pro or XT would still be available to you, and the prices of these two cards may drop even further by that point.

Yup, definitely save up for a 9800 card, I upgraded from a TI4200 to a 9800np. It's nice having all settings set on "pretty ;) " and not lose much fps. Besides, it'll be a better investment in the long run than a 9600xt

You just missed a deal for the BBA radeon 9800 Pro shipped for 168.95 from Gateway (with a 30 mail in rebate). I agree, i'd say jump up to a 9800 pro to make it a worthwhile upgrade.

i got lucky when i upgraded(ti4200-98xt)because payday and my b-day were a few days apart.i agree with everyone else save your money and get a 98pro.

Sneakytermite said:
I got a refur 9700 Pro at Newegg for $160. They even got one at $147 and $130. Mine has been working great for about a week now.

Yeah, I got my 9700pro for $150. Works great, and overclocks moderatly well. I can't complain for the price of a 9600 level card.

THANKS for your advice. i will wait to see the new lines both companies come out with. Probably won't be able to afford them but maybe it will drive the other card prices way down.

Back