• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Fx 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jshake

What is the reasonable overclock on FX 8350 with a Nocuta D14 cooler. I was able to hold 4.5ghz for 19 mins running Prime 95 with the following set up.
Cpu volts = 1.41
with llc set to extreme , extrema and current over @ 140%
FSB was @ 205 and ratio @ 22
Temps after 19 min run of Prime 95 was CPU socket = 65c and cores @ 54c.
I did drop one core after 19 min run , This would indicate more cpu voltage needed. Temps would not let me push further. So my question is anyone pushing more than 4.4ghz stable on air with this chip.
Thanks
jshake

What is the reasonable overclock on FX 8350 with a Nocuta D14 cooler. I was able to hold 4.5ghz for 19 mins running Prime 95 with the following set up.
Cpu volts = 1.41
with llc set to extreme , extrema and current over @ 140%
FSB was @ 205 and ratio @ 22
Temps after 19 min run of Prime 95 was CPU socket = 65c and cores @ 54c.
I did drop one core after 19 min run , This would indicate more cpu voltage needed. Temps would not let me push further. So my question is anyone pushing more than 4.4ghz stable on air with this chip.
Thanks
jshake

Hm.

Everything I've been seeing has been saying that 4.6 is possible with FSB frequency changes on the D14.

Most often I'm seeing people turn down the multiplier to 21 or 21.5 and instead raise the FSB closer to 220. 54c on the core isn't too hot.

You can go up to the lower 60's on piledriver, give yourself a little more voltage room to work with. Also consider bumping CPU-PLL to 2.515, it helped loads with stability on my 8320.

That is pretty good advice "Anonaru". I have read the many threads just in this forum about the FX-8150 reviews that were ALL over the place. These cpus don't seem to all clock the same as cpus have tended to do over the last years. They just put off too much heat. Case cooling makes so much difference with the FX's when pushed that never seemed to make much difference before. Many variables now can influence the clock of an FX cpu.

That is pretty good advice "Anonaru". I have read the many threads just in this forum about the FX-8150 reviews that were ALL over the place. These cpus don't seem to all clock the same as cpus have tended to do over the last years. They just put off too much heat. Case cooling makes so much difference with the FX's when pushed that never seemed to make much difference before. Many variables now can influence the clock of an FX cpu.

Very true. Definitly key to keep the socket temps down on these-- Somebody else on these forums had throttle downs while their cores were in the upper 40's weren't they?

My vishera rig can go up to 4.8 on the Thermaltake WATER2.0 Performer, which isn't exactly a great cooler. That's on an 8320-- I use a lower frequency because max clocks aren't as important this time around.

Getting your FSB up and keeping your HT / NB at the same frequency (In the 23-2400 range) makes a huge diff here. 8320 @ 4.7GHz multi only got a lower cinebench and MaxxMem result than 4.65 @ FSB + Multi. 4.8 barely exceeded Cine.

It also runs quite cool when using both the FSB and multipliers to OC-- Can keep your voltages down just a bit.

Anonaru said:
Getting your FSB up and keeping your HT / NB at the same frequency (In the 23-2400 range) makes a huge diff here. 8320 @ 4.7GHz multi only got a lower cinebench and MaxxMem result than 4.65 @ FSB + Multi. 4.8 barely exceeded Cine.

But the majority that come in here have not done that type of homework. That sit and do your own testing to determine what is really what. Most talk of what is my Max overclock? A good board instead of the cheap stuff and good cooling with a decent FX processor makes it nothing to overclock to 4.3 to 4.4Ghz and get good performance that seeking more is pretty useless.

I ran Cinebench from 4.1Ghz to 4.8Ghz and the sweet spot was right in the 4.3Ghz range. Increase in Mhz below and above that were not nearly as much as right in that sweet spot range.

Thanks for sharing man. RGone...ster.

But the majority that come in here have not done that type of homework. That sit and do your own testing to determine what is really what. Most talk of what is my Max overclock? A good board instead of the cheap stuff and good cooling with a decent FX processor makes it nothing to overclock to 4.3 to 4.4Ghz and get good performance that seeking more is pretty useless.

I ran Cinebench from 4.1Ghz to 4.8Ghz and the sweet spot was right in the 4.3Ghz range. Increase in Mhz below and above that were not nearly as much as right in that sweet spot range.

Thanks for sharing man. RGone...ster.

Yes sir! 4.3-4.4 is an awesome, easy, and really cool running range for vishera. Especially if you achieve it through FSB frequency increase. In other news, I'm learning just how much of a difference it makes to OC through your FSB on these!

Lowered voltage a tick, and got it up to 4.71 stable (and 2 degrees cooler, omfgwut?)

LL
LL

Don't mind the pink-- This is my wife's computer, mind you!

Got to go look thru all my benches but the used FX-8120 I got will do Cinebench 11.5 at 5.0Ghz but it takes almost 1.5Vcore to do it. However Prime 95 Blend mode for 2 hours is a completely different animal. It takes real voltage to get P95 stable for those hours.

It does appear that the PileDriver is some better than some of the BullDozers.

PS: Good clock there "Anonaru".

RGone....ster.

Got to go look thru all my benches but the used FX-8120 I got will do Cinebench 11.5 at 5.0Ghz but it takes almost 1.5Vcore to do it. However Prime 95 Blend mode for 2 hours is a completely different animal. It takes real voltage to get P95 stable for those hours.

It does appear that the PileDriver is some better than some of the BullDozers.

PS: Good clock there "Anonaru".

RGone....ster.

I always bench after stability :D That's after priming since I got home. Guess that's been about 4 hours now-- Can't say for 100% that its fully stable but that's good enough for me :p

Stable @ 4.5

Thanks To All,
I does seem to be the combination of FSB and Multipier is the key. At present after 20 Min run of P95 Blend. Was able to hold stable @ 4.5ghz. Next step lower Cpu by .05v and raise FSB to see if 4.6ghz is possible on my rig. If not I am happy with 4.5ghz on air.

Attachments

The benches for these were reassuring but they are still just a touch too hot and power draining for me to want to replace my i7 920, though I might change my mind if the prices drop a little.

I know it is an absurd suggestion but I can't help thinking that they would be absolutely amazing performers if built on one of Intel's newer processes.

Those results look pretty good there "jshake". I have used the mix of FSB and Multiplier since the beginning with my 8120 and I am betting you are right at the point where you will have to give a hefty jump in Vcore. Right now your 1.45is Vcore is already a little higher than what some of the FX-83xx cpus will run 4.5Ghz on. Some of these cpus just aren't quite as good as the others in these early fabs of the FX 83xx cpus.

I surely agree that 4.5Ghz is a good safe and sane point right now with the Vcore you had to use and on air. Try it a little higher, but I surely would have no issues with 4.5Ghz at the volts and temps you are able to use now. Good luck man and congrats on getting her to 4.5Ghz.

I'm seriously thinking of updating to an 8350...

My current rig is a FX4170 @ 4.7, do you guys think an OC'd 8350 would be a substantial improvement for gaming purposes?

is it worth upgrading to this if my current system already has no problems with games or anything else i do?

is it worth upgrading to this if my current system already has no problems with games or anything else i do?

Not hardly based on your statement above. Sounds like you would just get some more heat to deal with is likely all you would get extra.

If this does everything you need, then no. However, if you ever find an I/O or CPU intensive game, you may need to make an upgrade.

I wouldn't suggest the 8350 for gaming only-- The 6300 runs cooler and uses less power-- can be OC'ed higher with less cooling, makes them better in general when it comes to gaming, particularly since the number of games that employ 8 cores are pretty few in number :(

Back