• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II heatsink on AM2+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkpyro1

I was wondering if the fan/heatsink for an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition CPU socket AM3 can fit onto a socket AM2+ CPU. Namely the Athlon X2. So what I'm asking for is a converter for the AM3 heatsink to an AM2+ CPU.

Fits just fine

EDIT: AM2, AM2+ and AM3 are all the same retention mechanisms. I think 939 and 940 sockets work as well but I am not as sure of that...

The clip points are the same from at least 939 through AM3. I don't know about 754.
The bolt through points in early 939(i think( and am2/am2+/am3 are the same, but NOT the majority of 939, which only have two bolts,
Some 939s have more locations for clips (three wide rather then one) which interfere with certain heatsinks, but if you remove the extra clips (hacksaw!) they fit fine. Be careful with the hacksaw, though!

There is a very slight difference in height between s939 and AM2. I ran into that trying to use a stock Phenom cooler on an s939 CPU - had to put in a thin spacer to make it snug enough. It probably would have worked without the spacer but it was just a hair loose for my taste so I didn't take the chance ... :)

There is a very slight difference in height between s939 and AM2. I ran into that trying to use a stock Phenom cooler on an s939 CPU - had to put in a thin spacer to make it snug enough. It probably would have worked without the spacer but it was just a hair loose for my taste so I didn't take the chance ... :)

That's what i was doing when i ran into the hacksawable issue, the 125/140w phenom cooler interfered with the triple wide clip bracket mount tab things.

Back