• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help deciding on 2x1gb DDR500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kovboi

So I was going to wait until I got my tax refund to upgrade my memory, but I'm not going to make it. :p I'm trying to decide between these modules:
TeamGroup Cronus 3-3-3-8 (micron)
Mushkin Extreme Performance 3-4-3-8 (samsung uccc)

My current overclock is 9x278 (will also do 8x312).
The TeamGroup memory ($265) costs a lot more than the Mushkin ($175 after rebate), but it also appears more likely to do 270+ without a divider.

So what do y'all think - worth it to lay out the money for the micron? Or should I just save my hard earned $$$ and get the samsung uccc? :shrug:

The Micron chips are supposed to hit 300+ fairly easily at 1T, while UCCC typically maxes around 270. Go with the Team Xtreem if you can afford it.

Thanks for the replies! :D

Eldonko - I know you had very good results with your mushkins, but would you call that typical? I thought the average results for memory based on samsung uccc are in the range of 260-270?

I have the mushkin stuff and I'm extremely pleased, I got 270mhz on 3,4,3,7 with 3v. I don't know how typical that is, just my personal experience.

*EDIT*Onepage,
What happened to your results?
Post them up again!! For those that didnt see, it was a nice pic of the Team Microns blasting out stable 300 mhz runs.

Thats got to be the Team Group Xtreem Micron Modules!!!
I would be lying to you guys if I said I wasnt ordering some of these sticks this week. I must say, after reading tons of reviews. The only 2 gig memory that can consistently reach 300 Mhz is the Team Group Xtreme DDR500

I cant wait until I slap these sticks on my test rig. I might even write a little review for Overclockers.

Dom

Last edited:
kovboi said:
Thanks for the replies! :D

Eldonko - I know you had very good results with your mushkins, but would you call that typical? I thought the average results for memory based on samsung uccc are in the range of 260-270?
Probably not typical for UCCC to hit 280 no, 270 is more common. Mushkins were the best clocking of the 3 sets of UCCC I have owned though.

Brinnswift.. 3v = dead UCCC bro. :eek: UCCC doesnt scale with voltage, 2.7v is plenty.

Geat review you did btw kev :)

Eldonko said:
Probably not typical for UCCC to hit 280 no, 270 is more common. Mushkins were the best clocking of the 3 sets of UCCC I have owned though.

Brinnswift.. 3v = dead UCCC bro. :eek: UCCC doesnt scale with voltage, 2.7v is plenty.

Geat review you did btw kev :)

Eldonko,
Thanks for your info as well.
I plan on testing/and/or trying the Mushkins as well within the next 2 weeks or so because of your results. I thank you. :) <--- I am what they call a tech hardware "junkie" :santa: and occasional reviewer.

Dom

Eldonko said:
cool, that helps, thanks. wish i had the dengi to get both sets and compare!

Pirate_Freder said:
what about the new g.zkill ddr500 2x1gb? although i noticed many reviews on newegg complaining of heat and some doa's too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021
sure, i looked at those, too. the price difference after rebate is negligible and they're basically the same hardware (also samsung uccc). i've been impressed by mushkin's support on this forum, but a lot of people seem to swear by gskill.
but the dilemma remains: mushkin/gskill (samsung uccc) or team group (micron)?

avalanche83 said:
The micron by far. You shouldn't have to think about it if you are wanting to spend that much.
ok, ok, you got me there. :D just put in my order for the team microns at tankguys.

Back