• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what makes a good media center computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, that would depend on what you define as a media comp? Like what would you want to do with it?

Do you have a ton of music, DVDs, or an HDTV? It just seems to be an easier way to implement everything into one functional unit. My old stereo setup (5+ years ago) had a receiver, cd player, dvd player (got it after the CD player), and amp/equalizer, speakers, and a TV.

Now you can do all of that with speakers, TV, and HTPC from the comfort of your couch.

ok well i was thinking bout building one for the fokes for Christmas and was also wanting to know the cost or rather what i should look for parts wise?

IMHO, a media center computer only needs a few features.

1. A media center edition OS

2. Decent HD's (A couple of 500gig HD's should be plenty of space.)

3. A TV card or an ATI All-In-Wonder video card. (With the AIW card, you don't have to get a Media Center Edition OS.)

An entry level core2duo will give you all the poke you need.

1Gig RAM if it's XP MCE, 2Gigs RAM if it's Vista HPE.

Other than that, it's all up for debate. The Vista Home Premium has a very easy to use interface with the Media Center, but you'll need the two gigs of RAM to run it best.

Back