• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Brand PSU is in the tops these Days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sony190

I need a new PSU and would like to know what Brand is the tops These Days Out of these 3 which is the Best

OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS Bronze
Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze

Why do you NEED a new PSU? Far as I know your 550W Neo is perfectly fine.

Out of the three; I'd go the Antec or Thermaltake. The Tr2 series isn't too bad.

But what's it for? Your rig sig? What's wrong with the current psu?

the best power supply is a Seasonic, they are the power supply engineers, all the other big name brands use seasonics parts. they just came out with a X-series and its really good

The TR2 series, or at least both unit I have found reviews for, is best avoided.
The 400-430w (I forget which) is absolute junk, that the TR2 RX 750 is less than good: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/7
Failing at full load and violating ripple spec at 80% load is not good.
Given the two TR2s I've checked reviews for, I would avoid the TR2 series.

Seasonic makes very good PSUs. The best? I'd say no, there is no single best power supply company in my opinion.

From that list it's a toss up between the Antec and the OCZ.

Corsair HX series

Erm. No. The hx series is solid but its based on an older platform now. Most of them anyway.

Like bob said. There is no best.. there are many different companies.. superpower are solid. Non cheap Rosewill are good. Etc.

I think I was thinking of a different thermaltake series. Lol. The grands are nice psus. Lol.

I was on my phone... Dammit. It auto corrected me! Lol. Yes Superflower. Who also make most Kingwin units.. Enermax are also good. The NZXT Hale series is good as well (based off a super flower model I believe).

Erm. No. The hx series is solid but its based on an older platform now. Most of them anyway.

Like bob said. There is no best.. there are many different companies.. superpower are solid. Non cheap Rosewill are good. Etc.

I think I was thinking of a different thermaltake series. Lol. The grands are nice psus. Lol.

I see your point, but 2 years ago, HX's were the bomb :D

Seasonic is amongst the top three PSUs receiving the best reviews these days.
Check out jonnyguru.com for some great reviews on various units.

General (not always of course)

thermaltake and OCZ = crap. Neither company makes PSUs.
Corsair = used to be fairly priced quality, they do have issues though, but provide clean power overall. Another company that does not make PSUs

As bobnova mentioned Seasonic. Makes SOME of corsair PSUs, all of their own, and quite a few other high end units. Excellent choice (rule of thumb they do have 'not as good' units as well but 90% +++)

CWT makes some good units, I think that is corsairs main brand right now, sparkle is known to make good and bad, Honeywell honey forget it. Anything thing that ends in max you can skip and newegg rebrands (rosewill) also crap.

It used to be that you could go to the store and lift it up. If it felt like an empty coffee can it was as effective. Online selling changed all that.

That said, you do not need a GOLD rating to power your rig, just low ripple and adequate amperage. Some units are crazy low ripple. (~10mv) anything under 50mv I would consider a good unit though.

Stick with Bobnova's recommendations he is smart and is the PSU reviewer here, but like all reviews, back it up with more information (NEVER take one review as gospel). I like jonnyguru for PSU reviews if bobnova agrees, it is a good choice. I dont have the thousands to drop on monitoring equipment to do PSU reviews so staying out of that biz.

remember that like anything else.. if there is a "standard" there is a way to get that standard by cheating. Thats what most PSU companies do.

I recently bought a Seasonic M12II 520 Bronze because I just had to have "A" Seasonic. But I'm wondering now whether it would be just as good with an Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520 for 25% less.

Jonnyguru.com is fantastic, no doubt or issues there at all.

Ripple wise it really depends on what flavor of ripple you're looking at. The main waveform should definitely be within spec, and under half spec (so 60mv for 12v) is certainly preferable.
Transients are another story, one that for one reason or another very very few PSU review outfits test for.
That may be because it takes truly staggering transients to cause issues, that may be because they like to have a standardized 1ms/divider scope setting (the longest transients I've seen last a whopping 100 nanoseconds), or it may be because the sites don't view them as an issue. I don't know.
Personally I do test for them as the ATX PSU spec calls for testing for them, though I generally disclaimer the results explaining the transients aren't as important as the main waveform.

In any case, if JG/OW recommends it, it's good!

If I can't find at least one in depth review of a unit (needs to have disassembly, scope testing (no $50 USB scopes, please) and a real load of some sort. It doesn't have to be a multi kilobuck digital load (mine isn't), but it does need to be a real, halfway decently calibrated, load. No computer hardware based "test systems" that might draw 360w on a bad day!

The OCZ ZT PSU I looked at was good, the ZS unit reviews I've read have looked pretty good too. OCZ bought PC Power and Cooling a couple years ago and have been working them into things I think.

Well it's the same platform.. Lol. The HCG is based off that platform I believe. And you would've paid extra for the Seasonic branding.. So ya.. But the Seasonic is modular I believe? (Though I've used the HCG 520; and there was only 1 cable I didn't need.. So eh)

Well it's the same platform.. Lol. The HCG is based off that platform I believe.

But I've heard (or read) that Seasonic uses much better materials for their own brand, ie. better quality. I do not regret getting the Seasonic but I'm more of a "get the best bang for your buck" guy.

Back