• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocked AMD XP MOBO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude_drew

I am looking for a preunlocked mobo so I can overclock my soon to be AMD XP 2000+ cpu. I want one with 1 AGP, 5 or 6 PCI slots, DDR Ram with sound and no video. I want to beable to overclock it as good as I can and have the board be less than $130 if possible. I only have a 200MHz computer so you can see my rush. And I am a "Invincible" 14 year old who thinks nothing can go wrong (I've been proved wrong alot) so I need as much listings possible. HELP ME PLEASE

get a nforce 2 epox's 8RDA+ will be the best for u it will unlock all T-breds so get an 1800+ T-Bred from newegg, it has support for FSBs upto 250MHz and now all the problems with the board have been sorted out, make sure you dont get a palomino core XP as it will not be unlocked and u would have to do so yourself

Look.

1)
ALL THE LOW SPEED TBREDA'S ARE UNLOCKED ON EVERY MOTHERBOARD.

(well any motherboard that supports multi adjustments)

So the tbred 1800 will be unlocked on any KT266A, KT333, KT400, nforce, nforce2, etc. etc.

2) You only need to worry about a board to unlock the tbreds if you have a higher speed tbred, with a multi above 13 (e.g. 2400XP) I know the KT400 abit and epox do unlock these higher speed tbreds, I know the MSI KT400 DOES NOT.

I'm currently recomending the epox KT400 EP-8k9A as the best LOW COST ocing mobo, its about $85, I've got two, and both run at 200FSB pretty easy.

3) I KNOW OF NO MOTHERBOARD THAT WILL UNLOCK THE AMD 2000 XP. As far as I know, the 2000 XP is a Pallimino core, and so you must manually do the bridge trick to unlock it.

I agree with the previous poster, the 1800tbred is a better buy than the 2000 if you are ocing right now.

Good luck!

ok ill try to get my dad to buy me a AMD XP 1800+ with a Epox 8RDA+. I found that board for $132 somewhere. What speed of ram should I get? And would I just beable to get by with 256MB or would I need 384MB or 512MB? I am intending on overclocking it anyway. Is it also true that ocing lessins the life of the board? Thats what my dad thinks.

A little late but this is what I posted in the CPU section since there is a fair amount of confusion to this...

Sonny said:
With ANY current AMD Thunderbird | Palomino | ThoroughBred CPU as long as the L1 Bridges are connected they are unlocked. People got confused when the TBa & TBb chips came out with all the L1 bridges were closed but could not LOWER the multiplier & came to the conclusion that it was locked but with the few that tried a HIGHER multiplier realized it was partially unlocked which wasn’t technically right either & since motherboards did not have BIOS revisions that had multiplier choices above 13.5 this caused further confusion which is still rampant today. Case in Point this thread & the article linked to;)

What the KT400 brings is really to be able to read ALL 5 L1 BRIDGES & not just the first 4. The ability to read all 5 would allow you to adjust the multipliers from 5X - 22X & not just 5 - 12.5 or 13 - 22. Remember the issues with unlocking the XP2100+, after bridging the L1s the lower multipliers were not available but the higher multipliers were? Most boards then could only read the first 4 bridges.

I have a KT400 chipset based MoBo & a XP1600+. It comes locked & the MoBo can not unlock it by itself. When I unlock the chip I can access all the multipliers & not just the lower or higher sets.

Basically if your MoBo can read all 5 L1s you have no problems with gaining access to all the multipliers. If not your limited to the HIGHER or LOWER set with conjuction with the multipliers available in the BIOS revision.

..... so check if the MoBo can read all 5 L1 bridges:beer:

dude_drew said:
ok ill try to get my dad to buy me a AMD XP 1800+ with a Epox 8RDA+. I found that board for $132 somewhere. What speed of ram should I get? And would I just beable to get by with 256MB or would I need 384MB or 512MB? I am intending on overclocking it anyway. Is it also true that ocing lessins the life of the board? Thats what my dad thinks.

I've not ever heard that ocing does ANYTHING to the motherboard. It is running just as fast (usually) as it was designed to. The CHIP is usually what is running to fast. Yes, the chips life is probably shotened, from like 10 years to 7, but I've never had a chip for that long. :)

MOST chips that will overclock will last at least a couple of years.

Good luck!

Back