• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Thimble Jet block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
Here's another of my block concepts. The manufacture standpoint is faily simple and the hard work is done in the top pieces which would be lexan. Ok, on to the block itself. The inlet will constrict slightly then nozzle out over the thimble shape. Also the nozzle will be notched and over each notch there is a slash cut out in the raised ring which goes around the thimble shape. The sloping circle around the perimeter will store excess heat away from the core and be siphoned off by the knurled texture in its surface and the good water velocity that will hit it's surface. Water shall collect in a ring around the outside edge of the block and exit through multiple verticle holes into the mini resevoir at the very top of the block. The center piece over the core which initially will be a rounded thimble shape shall get hash cuts into it then spread apart to fill the channel opening in the lexan. Pressure should be well maintained throughout the block.

Edited for content

Last edited:
i think it could be much more efficient... like you dont need that huge top thingy, just a small one or just have the dual outlets rite out of the bottom, the jet is kinda nice tho,

Well, there has been a large influx of design theories lately and the brainiacs are still calculating (probably a never ending task seeing as the application of thermodynamic theories are still being improved upon in complex situations). Thanks for the comments Maskedgeek, I'll try to address them.
It's hard to imagine the scale, probably because I didn't provide one, but the very top is only 3/4" and the total ht. of the block is about 1 3/4". Because it is a circle, I designed the block to evenly exit the water as it flows over the raised outer limits where some heat is stored away from the core, just two side exits wouldn't do the trick.

Here is a better top view. There is now three 7/16" ID outlet barbs. I will explore this design next and test out its flow rate limitations and also compare it to my other block. I am considering buying a commercial block for comparison to my blocks. Which one should I get? The spiral claims high flow but there are also the ever popular maze series and now a TC-4. I can't afford them all and I just need one to tell if I'm in the ballpark. Any comments appreciated.

Warning, paint skillz:D

Back