• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK900A clip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldenTiger

Will this heatsink be too heavy for the socket lugs, or is it safe to use? I've read that some heatsinks can be too heavy, and this looks like a heavy, heavy sink. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, is an ALX800 better than an SLK900A? If not, how much of a difference is it?

Last edited:
The SLK isn't too heavy to use despite exceeding AMD's HSF weight limits, just be sure not to move the case around alot while it's mounted.

The ALX-800 is comperable to the SLK-800 (assuming both are used with a high flow fan, with a low flow fan the ALX will perform worse) so you might see ~2-7*C difference between the two.

I use a 900a in my antec 1080amg, it does seem a little heavy in your hand but once you’ve got it securely fastened down there’s no real problem. But as always be careful when moving a case with one, any drop could potentially rip it off.

this is what i thought at first when i got my SLK-900A but once I put it on I felt that the socket could handle it, but like mord is saying try not to move it to much. If you are going to move it, carry your case on its side so the heatsink is basically just resting on the mobo rather then pulling and straining the socket in its normal position.

If you are going to move it, carry your case on its side so the heatsink is basically just resting on the mobo rather then pulling and straining the socket in its normal position.
Also be sure not to sit the computer down very hard or the shock could cause problems.

Back