• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compression fittings...How tight?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
As the title asks, but not quite what you might be thinking. I was wondering how tight I should tighten up my compression fittings, where the tubing fits on. Do I tighten them down all the way, or just til they are tight enough to hold the tubing in place without leaking? The tubing and compression fittings are the same size, according to specs (1/2"x3/4"). I have put the tubing on one of the fittings before, and tightened the fitting down about half way, and the tubing was on tight enough to not move, but I want to be sure.

I screw mine down as tight as they will go. I've noticed that when I disassemble them that the tubing has formed a ridge where it fits over the lip of the fitting. The tighter it is screwed the more of a ridge has formed.

I always tighten all the way down til metal hits metal. Never had a problem that way.

i aim for getting the ring down to the metal, but it never wants to go.

i have mine about this tight.,

go to minute 2:23.

So cranking them all the way down is not necessary, is what I am gathering. So they should be fine if I tighten them up enough to hold my tubing and not leak?

Back