• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router troubles... please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

Hey guys, I am having trouble with my home network again. My dad started to complain that his wireless has been disconnecting and reconnecting frequently. I assumed it was his old computer so I waited for him to get his new one. Now with the new laptop the router (Dlink dl-524) is still disconnecting and now it has been doing it to the wired side also. I thought the router was just going bad, since it has served a little over three years of constant use, so I ordered a Linksys WRT54G on the recommendation of a friend who has one that has been working well. Is there anyway I can check the Dlink to see if it is going bad?

I tried setting up the Linksys but I cannot connect to the internet, despite copying the dlink setting. Even when I restore to default I can’t connect to the internet or even the modem. I had DHCP enabled and both the router and my computer has a valid ip 192.168.1.XXX. I am just wondering if there is something different I have to do? I will put up some screen shots once I get off work.

Thanks for looking

It has an IP to the "internet" port which is valid but it wont connect to the internet and i can't connect to the modem by typing in the 192.168.1.125 (or whatever it is)

Ok so the router got an IP from your providor so that means its passing through your modem. You made sure your using the router IP as your gateway?

Well one thing I would suggest without any other info in would be to make sure that you reboot your modem after you added the new router. May be the quick fix you need: cycle the learning table/release and renew everything.

I would shut off the computer, and router. Reboot the modem, then after its up turn on the router, then after a few boot up the PC and see what happens.

Check the firewall in XP if you created new connections it may default in on you.

Well one thing I would suggest without any other info in would be to make sure that you reboot your modem after you added the new router. May be the quick fix you need: cycle the learning table/release and renew everything.

I would shut off the computer, and router. Reboot the modem, then after its up turn on the router, then after a few boot up the PC and see what happens.

Check the firewall in XP if you created new connections it may default in on you.

I tried that twice the other night with no success... so i thought well i will give it one more try.... what do you know it worked.

Thanks for you help everyone.

Is your ISP using PPPoE, or do they require you to re-register the MAC address? My ISP used to require you to call them if you wanted to connect a different computer to the modem.....I just cloned my MAC address and never worried about it. (Thankfully they no longer need to do that now.)

they use PPPoE but the modem takes care of that. Never the less it is working now

Back