• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Three 120mm Fan Core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EpochofEntropy

Registered
I'm considering a water cooled setup that would cater to having a relatively large heater core. I would prefer one that is about 19" long, with 19" being the max size. The max height can be anywhere from 5 - 8", and the width can be anything. The deeper the core the better.

This is for an external water cooled setup, and I can afford the space to have this large heater core.

I know that the caprice heater core fits two 120mm fans nice and snug, but I'm looking for a good core that can fit three 120mm fans.

Another thought that had crossed my mind was to have two caprice cores running in parallel. This would be accomplished by using a Y splitter from the hot water input, and just before the heater cores, then merging them again with another Y right before the pump. This method makes sense, since I believe it would loose very little flow overall flow velocity, while slowing the water down within each heater core.

My planned pump was a Hydor 320 with either method.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
There is already a purpose built 3 x 120mm fan core on the market.

It's known as the "Thermochill 120.3". Suggest you take a look for it unless you're hell bent on finding a heater-core yourself. I would suggest looking for truck cabin heater-cores though. Last I looked I could not find any car cabin heater-cores that were anything like 36cm long.

Funny, I just found the updated site from another thread. I thought that heatercore4u had died.

Here are the models I am thinking about running in parrallel, having two cores split by a Y with 3 120mm fans blowing across them.

2-262
2-440
2-439

The only problem is that these are from cars from the 60's, and $30 each.

What a crapper.

You may want to look at 2-192. It is a monster. It measures 10.75 x 10.25 x 2. This could hold 4 120mm fans on each side.

GOD Macktruck said:
mtedder, that thing is huge. and quite possiblly just what i'm looking for.

thanks

: ) :

Are you thinking of watercooling.

Last I heard you had 4 80mm and 1 92mm tornado aimed at your head while you sleep, lol.

Hehe.

I'm leaning towards something that is longer than it is tall.

The reason for this is because I want to build my own custom rackmount cases/rack. (from homedepot parts)

One of the rack cases will be a rad, rez/drain, pump, fans and a small PSU.

Two of one of the Chevy truck cores would work great, since I can Y-Split them in and out. It makes sense logically to assume that since the flow is split in half, that it would be flowing half as fast, but when it's split back together the flow would be resumed to almost full. This allows for the water to have more time in the core, cooling it more.

(these are assumptions, some 5-8 star person might come and shoot them down)

You've grabbed my attention EpochofEntropy, rackmount is awsome! I currently have my rad tube bolted to the bottom of the case, but I'm thinking of designing a rackable squirrel cage blower over rad box.
Here is my system
http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243923&highlight=rackmount

I just love the industrial look the rackmount cases have

EDIT: Also as a side note if you go to a radiator shop they should be able to make one exactly to your dimensions. May be a bit pricy though

Last edited:
Back