• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*NEW* Ubuntu: Hardy Heron 8.04 Beta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nitteo

Alright Linux-Heads, I am going to try this new Ubuntu with F@H:

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/hardy/beta

**THIS IS THE BETA** FINAL RELEASE IS IN APRIL 2008 (if you want to wait)

This thread is going to be used for info/problems/rants and raves about our newest Linux.

HOPEFULLY this will solve my NIC/Stuck on Loaded Queue Successfully issue.

Last edited:
I upgraded to 8.04 from 7.10 on my 'crash box', without incident. Re:your Stuck on Loaded Queue incident, what was going on there? Maybe 8.04 was having some heartburn with some chipset component?

Having been without Linux since September/October last year* I'm tempted to install Hardy to play with KDE4 ... :)

* The dreaded case where I need a box that works perfectly with Office '07, Origin, ChemDraw, Crossfire Commander and Scifinder :(

Boo KDE! Although honestly I haven't really tried it in a while. I <3 Gnome. I'm using 8.04 beta, but it's on my horribly slow old P3 with 256 megs of ram. Visual effects off and I can STILL hardly run firefox and pidgin.

I like it so far, though. The new artwork is great.

Right off the Bat, WU 3062 killed by a error0x1!

I tried installing ia 32 libs, but it says wont install, conflicting packages?

Do I need ia 32libs?I can access the FAH program with no problems:

chmod +x fah6
./fah6 -smp

brings me to the FAH setup. If I remember correctly, I wouldnt even get this far without having to install ia32 libs. I did DL the ia32 libs and used an installer. I am going to try to sudo.

sudo apt-get install ia32libs

Did I spell that right?

No. It's ia32-libs

Got it, but Ubuntu says ia32-libs is already installed.

I tried re-installing FAH, but I was getting a Core Client Error in Communication.

Going back to Fedora 8 in this Borg...

I will try Ubuntu 8.04 on my next rig.

Edit: This is one of my rigs that had the SAME problems as 7.10 Gutsy, what I dont understand is HOW Fedora 8 can work with FAH, but not Ubuntu ON THE SAME RIG?

Got it, but Ubuntu says ia32-libs is already installed.

I tried re-installing FAH, but I was getting a Core Client Error in Communication.

Going back to Fedora 8 in this Borg...

I will try Ubuntu 8.04 on my next rig.

Edit: This is one of my rigs that had the SAME problems as 7.10 Gutsy, what I dont understand is HOW Fedora 8 can work with FAH, but not Ubuntu ON THE SAME RIG?

ubuntu is different then fedora (red hat)

you may need to customize your kernel for your hardware. something may not have been picked up in the auto installer in ubuntu that fedora did.

They put out twice a year, it's not that often. It almost seems like too long to me. I wanted to get the 2.6.24.4 kernel because it has better USB HID support among other things. Now, I'm stuck waiting for April. (I know I could upgrade manually but, jeez, it's only waiting until April.)

-_- lovely, i installed this last night. works fine for the exception that it corrupted my 500GB ntfs storage drive... lovely. now i gotta try and recover it. (not it was not the drive i installed linux on.)

this is gonna be a fun weekend.

Mine install of 8.04 with smp has seems to be working. When I say seems to be its because the first install bombed at 21% but this seems to have been because of a faulty hdd. I have another used 10gig I re-installed on and now I'm trying again. Hoping this drive is not a problem.

I installed 8.04 on my new c2d rig nativelym other than trying in vain to get some temp monitoring it installed easily and so did fah. So far I'm content.

Installed it but wasn't so impressed. Much prefer KDE3 or Gnome.

Going to back to Gentoo... Ubuntu just feels... weird.

Back