• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UGH... E8500 either bad chip or I'm dumb please advise!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pravius

Registered
Here is a little background on my situation...

Last year I got an E8500 and really never tried to OC or do anything with it just installed and it was working and I was happy. Recently I have become addicted to trying to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of my machine.

I started downloading apps like core temp, real temp, speed fan, ect to monitor my temps. I was initially disturned to see that my cores were running at about 48c idle and 55c+ 100% load testing with Orthos, stock speeds, Arctic Cooler 7 pro heatsink.

My case I had it in was about 10 years old but was one of the really nice Antec cases (not sure the model) but it did have some pretty poor airflow, so I figured this had much to do with it.

So yesterday I marched to Microcenter and purchased the HAF932 with a Corsair H50... put it all together last night and gleefully turned on my machine and it only decreased about 5c.

So right now I am about 42-45c idle and about 50c 100% load running Orthos and Prime95.

Do you guys think that my E8500 may just be a hotter running chip? Also to note in speedfan my CPU temp is reading 27c but core temps are 40's... I am not sure when people refer to temps they refer to the core temps or the actual CPU temp...

Any advice appreciated! :mad:

Here are my specs:

Case: Coolermaster HAF932
CPU: Intel E8500 Stock speeds for the moment
HDD: 2x WD Caviar Black 750GB Raid 0
GPU: Sapphire HD4870 (800 MHZ)
PS: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
Cooler: Cosair H50 Water Block
Mobo: EVGA 750I FTW
RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Last edited:
Always look at your core temps. :)
And use RealTemp or CoreTemp for that.
A delta of 5-8C idle/load looks perfect for me, and 50C in load is nothing. :)
What's your ambient/room temperature?

Maybe I'm wrong, but the idle temps seem high to me, my E8400 idles 37-38C with the OC in my sig...
Idle temps aren't a big deal though, you can prolly just ignore them.

+1 for better thermal paste.

Also, make sure you don't use too much paste, and check that the cooler is seated well.

Always look at your core temps. :)
And use RealTemp or CoreTemp for that.
A delta of 5-8C idle/load looks perfect for me, and 50C in load is nothing. :)
What's your ambient/room temperature?

My room temps are a little warmer during the day then the rest of my house because I have reptiles... but not that much. I actually have a infared thermometer I use for the reptiles and my case is like 60F and cooler so the ambient is pretty good.

"Maybe I'm wrong, but the idle temps seem high to me, my E8400 idles 37-38C with the OC in my sig...
Idle temps aren't a big deal though, you can prolly just ignore them.

+1 for better thermal paste.

Also, make sure you don't use too much paste, and check that the cooler is seated well."

The H50 is seated really well... I actually think I overtightened it a little bit but the install was very straight forward. I do have some AS5 at home I may try to apply tonight to see if that makes a difference.

I also thought that low 40's idle was high... I see some people getting temps like in the 20's and I keep thinking WTF am I doing wrong .. I am now broke and still have heating issues it seems... :confused:

I also thought that low 40's idle was high... I see some people getting temps like in the 20's and I keep thinking WTF am I doing wrong .. I am now broke and still have heating issues it seems... :confused:
For 45nm CPU's (and generally speaking for all CPU's) ignore idle temperatures, their sensors are not made for accurate temps but ONLY for accurate high temps when they're approaching to TJMax and they should initiate throttling/thermal shutdown.
So your 50°C prime95 load temps looks perfect fine to me.
Look at my E8400 cooled by Noctua NH-U12P and a KAMA PWM @4xx RPM. Do you think that at 22°C room temperature and idle I can have 40°C on cores at 1,6GHz and 1.12V Vcore? :D

idle.jpg

That makes sense. I guess it's time for me to try to push my chip then now. Thanks for the screens burebista... it made me feel better. Even though now $300 later after a new case and a heatsink I feel silly for spending that much on literally 5 deg difference.... but I guess it for the good of the industry! :beer:

Back