• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor or RAID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crana

Since I've been planning my new rig I planned on getting a 74gb raptor and x2 500GB drives, but I've heard that if I got x2 identical hard drives and put them in RAID 0 I can achieve the same performance as the Raptor offers.

Current plan: x1 raptor, x2 500gb drives = £194.04
Total storage space: 1.074TB

Proposed plan: x2 500gb drives in RAID 0 for OS and programs and x2 500gb drives for back-up and storage = £182.84
Total stoage space: 2TB

(500gb drives mentioned are Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache @ £45.71)

What do you guys think? :) Thanks.

No, you cant.

Raptors havea faster seek time - thus things like loading windows and starting programs is faster

raid 0 drives have a higher STR - as in with large files they perform better.

search the forums, there are MANY threads on this very issue on raptors, or single drives vs raid.

Thanks for the info. I've decided to stick with the Raptor after reading some of the threads regarding this question :) After all, what I want to achieve is faster loading times with Windows, games and programs :D

Back