• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking with ASUS P2B-S... ~1GHz Possible? 89mhz AGP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DezMFNutz

I have been reading about overclocking this board and have decided to get a PIII 700E (100mhz FSB) and a slotket adapter to put into my 3yr old P2B-S (gotta love the longevity of the 440BX)....

My question is, has anyone tried this? I was checking out a page at the Asus website (here) and it seems that my board will not support 133mhz fsb Coppermines....

But, would it still be possible to plug in the 100mhz fsb PIII and run it at an overclocked 133? (7 multiplier x 133mhz fsb = 933mhz) The PCI divider is 1/4, but the AGP divider is 2/3, so I think the video card may be the hangup...

Does anyone know what AGP speed a Matrox G450 Dualhead can support (please please please say 89mhz)? Do the new Radeon Dualhead cards support 89mhz AGP? How about the Twinview Duealhead cards?

If anyone knows or has tried any of these, please let me know. Help is appreciated.

-Rishi

As long as your boards supports the Coppermine and has the 1/4 PCI divider, you will be fine. As far as 89 MHz goes:

Matrox cards are probably OK;
Radeons are definitely OK; and
GeForce cards are good to 100 MHz+.

I have heard that your mobo does have a problem with power available at the CPU slot though. That's why the Asus site never recommended anything more than a PIII 450 Katmai, whitch has a 14.5 amp max current draw. Weird problems start happening in memory intensive apps with PIII 550 Katmai CPUs that can draw up to 17.0 amps. Since a PIII 700 has a max current draw of 14.0 amps that shouldn't be a problem at the default speed. But I wouldn't get anything faster since a PIII 800 can draw up to 16.0 amps and a PIII 933 can go to 17.7 amps. But, when you O/C, you could have problems since your CPU is gonna draw more amps. It all depends on the kinds of apps you run. Photoshop, in particular, has had problems with Asus P2B boards running SSE PIII CPUs. There's something about it at the Adobe website.

DaveB (Mar 14, 2001 01:51 p.m.):
But, when you O/C, you could have problems since your CPU is gonna draw more amps.

I think I remember seeing that my board, because of its revision, supplies about 1.8V to the slotket. I think the slotket can regulate voltage to the PIII independently as well....

Assuming I use a nice Alpha cooler (will a PEP66 fit?) to dissapate heat, the PIII should get all the current it needs, right?

PS: Thanks for the quick reply and great info! Way to take care of newbies (ahhh, my first post)!!

The slotket contains a VRM which can regulate the voltage, but cannot set it lower than the motherboard can provide. 1.8V is fine.

The Apha PEP66 is made for a slotket and will fit any slot 1 motherboard, but might block a DIMM slot.

Make sure that Asus says your revision can support Coppermines. All Asus boards are definitely not created equal! The have a compatibility chart there, but just forget about the FC-PGA stuff. If your board can take a slot 1 Coppermine, it can deal with a slotket FC=PGA setup.

Back