• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K15

Simple newb question. Is it bad to pull the ethernet cable out while connected/while the computer is on? I assume it's not (i've done it for the last 5 years without major problems).
Although one of the ports on our linksys router is bad, and I think another just went. Could that be the reason? :(

I've done this on occasion and never had a problem, I don't think there should be enough voltage/current to cause a problem.
The first question I would ask about the ports in you router is this the same computer/cable that was hooked up to the other port when it went bad?

At worst it will cause some temporary network addressing problems. The other computers and devices on the network will still think that the computer is connected, and try to send data to it. When it doesn't respond to those packets it will take some time before all of the other devices learn it is down. This isn't really a very big issue though in most cases, especially in small networks.

skab said:
I've done this on occasion and never had a problem, I don't think there should be enough voltage/current to cause a problem.
The first question I would ask about the ports in you router is this the same computer/cable that was hooked up to the other port when it went bad?

Different computers, though both were laptops with a lot of plugging/unplugging of the ethernet cable. It could be a bad cable, which doesn't explain why it would work in 3 of the 4 ports though...

I agree with the others in that this is not *really* bad. Ports do go bad over time. That's just a fact of life. I doubt that pulling the wire while its on caused the ports to go bad. If so, I think that I would have bad ports on my current network. :)

Back