• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell 700M Bundled PowerDVD install issue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vsalt2

I just installed a fresh copy of windows, and I'm using the original CD that came with the 700m laptop to install the bundled PowerDVD software.

When I click the setup.exe executable I am getting a very annoying message saying:

"This software can only be installed on a DELL,Unbranded system"

The CD itself says:

For Reinstalling Cyberlink PowerDVD 5.3.1012 Software
DELL
www.dell.com | support.dell.com
P/N R8719 Rev. A00

What in the h3ll is causing it not to load? Might I add that this *IS* a Dell laptop. I don't understand what the problem is honestly.

Thank you for any assistance.

Did you use the Dell Recovery CD to reinstall the OS? If not, that is your problem, the PowerDVD CD isnt finding the files it needs to confirm that you are installing it on a Dell system.

Hmmmm, that is going to be harder than I originally thought then. Have you tried going to the Dell support site and download the PowerDVD patch/upgrade that they have?

I know there is a patch, but isn't that just for the program after it is initially installed? I will at least get it and see what happens. Thanks!

I think the only way you will be able to use it is to restore it with the Dell OS CD. If you dont have that disc, maybe you could call Dell about it to get a replacement. Did the previous owner lose the discs, or forget to send them?

This is why I don't normally buy my stuff second hand (unless its just hardware parts) especially on proprietary parts. The lesson behind this story kids? Dude, don't get a dell! lol

I don't want dell's crappy preloaded OS junk. I just got a copy of Windvd7, and WOW it's nice, so i'm gonna chuck that powerdvd disc in the garbage and move on :)

thanks all for your help

A solution?

I had this problem with a CD that came with a Dell system as well. I wanted to install it on a compaq notebook that I'd just wiped and reinstalled Windows XP on and it told me it had to be a DELL/Unbranded system. So I copied the CD to the hard drive and deleted the custom.ini file. Then it said it had to be a Cyberlink system! (Do they make computers?!)

So I changed it to "any". And it said it had to be an any system.

So I changed it to "Compaq". And it installed without a peep.

No idea how it knew it was on a Compaq machine of course since I had just wiped the thing... Anyway, its all to do with that custom.ini file.

I ran into this problem today as well. I know this is an old post, but I came up with a fix:

Edit the custom.ini file with the following line:

CLScan='

The single quote is the trick. That fools the code into skipping this section. I'm guessing it just terminates that line in the script early and just goes onto the next line. It installed perfectly for me. Note that I do have a Dell system, but had to reinstall the OS so it was no longer Dell branded. Hope this helps someone in the future.

In case anybody else has this problem, the
CLScan='
trick did not work for me.
I tried remarking that line
rem CLScan='
but that failed.
I finally put in the brand of my motherboard:

CLScan=Gigabyte

That worked!

Back