• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fbs overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrXsmurF

Registered
first off, this is my first post to the boards so...hello!

ive been reading about Athlon overclocking, and i notice that mostly everyone is intent on unlocking the chip to o/c it. i was just wondering if this is necessary. couldnt i just inrcrease my FSB to get a higher speed?

thanks for all your help guys!

:note, i meant to title this post FSB, not FBS:p

Welcome to the forums! No it is not a requirement to unlock the chip to overclock it by raising the FSB speed. On AMD chips lots of people unlock and lower the multiplier so they can run much higher FSB speeds. Bear in mind that by raising the FSB it also raises the PCI and AGP speeds as well. Good luck and read up on all the great info oc.com has to offer and you'll be doing some serious overclocking in no time :D Warning overclocking is addictive!;)
Randy

Yup what he said. I used my FSB to get my overclock, I am currently at 168 or something, but I could go much higher if my processor was not locked, as its hit the limit at 1.75 ghz.
AKDUDE

so if my cpu is unlocked, i can get higherspeed with a lower multiplier, which is better? cool!

i've spent most of today looking at HSFs and the like. thanks!

Basically, to sum it up, you want to get the highest overclock of the processor and the highest FSB you can get thats stable by juggling around with the multiplier and FSB speeds.

Thats the whole goal :)
Some applications love memory bandwidth, others like a high speed processor, or both.
AKDUDE

DrXsmurF said:
so if my cpu is unlocked, i can get higherspeed with a lower multiplier, which is better? cool!

i've spent most of today looking at HSFs and the like. thanks!

thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. i'm on my way to being addicted :)

Back