• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warning to Steve Jobs: You can not win THIS fight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

Apparently Mr. Jobs has decided that Google, not Microsoft is now public enemy #1. If you read tech news, you now that Apple and Google have been squabbling over Apple denying Google apps into the iPhone store. Now apparently Apple has bought a mapping company to compete with Google maps.

http://gizmodo.com/5371694/apple-buys-their-very-own-maps-company-see-ya-google-maps

I think he is making a big mistake in picking this fight. Google is going to be the company to take down MS when their OS comes out in the next year or so. They're not going to run MS out of the server OS market but they can and probably will take over the desktop market especially since MS Office is going to go web like Googe Apps. Sure, the gamers and video editors will prob hang on to Windows, Linux or OS X but all the people with low end machines, netbooks or machines to just do homework, listen to music and surf will prob go with the Google OS since it will be free like Linux and probably easier to use to boot.

Steve Jobs is a hippy so I think he should make love not war with Google and watch his step. Apple is already second fiddle to MS. I'd hate to see them fall to third tier with Google as well but it's inevitable.

anybody else ave thoughts?

I think he's old enough and wise enough to take care of himself and the company. Probably more than some random guy on a web forum.

Nothing can take down Google. Google will rule the world eventually, taking over every major government there is. Then we shall know true peace. One world...under Google.

I should sell that idea to Hollywood and be a millionaire.

But seriously, I think Google will win in the long run, maybe just for the reason that they base their profit on advertisements, not the consumer buying the product.

Nothing can take down Google. Google will rule the world eventually, taking over every major government there is. Then we shall know true peace. One world...under Google.
QUOTE]

Hummm, now I seem to remember a long time ago someone said the same about CompUServ...

And where is it now?

Let the Giants battle it out, in the end we the little people really decide if Google will be the next killer app, if MS will die a slow and lingering death, or if Super Apple will save the day and kill them both off...

What a lot of people don't realize is the Corporations will not go with a Google OS. And there is a very high percentage of computers that do not have network connectivity.

So the dream of owning the world of the web may be Googles and the dream of owning the OS on 95% of the worlds computers being MS's that leaves a pittiful few for Apple to garner...

MHO...

Laughing all the way to the bank.

I think he is making a big mistake in picking this fight. Google is going to be the company to take down MS when their OS comes out in the next year or so.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to establish a new OS?
First, you have to get developers to back you.
Then you have to convince the masses that yours is better.
Not gonna happen.

I think he's old enough and wise enough to take care of himself and the company. Probably more than some random guy on a web forum.

Amen.

I wont leave google out, but someone needs to slap Apple in there face. Im tired of all there fanboys claiming apple is god. They have not invented any "new" technology....only using or reusing other technology they steal from others.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to establish a new OS?
First, you have to get developers to back you.
Then you have to convince the masses that yours is better.
Not gonna happen.

Amen.

90% of the population doesn't want a computer for personal use, they want a can opener. They don't care about the tool, they care about the end result of getting what's inside the tin. Take away someone's old rusty can opener, and give them a new shiny one that opens cans more easily, and they don't care a bit.

Windows requires maintenance, it breaks, it gets bogged down, it has security problems. (for your average user)

Linux is foreign, it has a stigma if you ask the guy who knows about computers what it is, it's not familiar, it seems complicated. (for your average user)

GoogleOS - it doesn't require maintenance like Windows, Google is familiar and "good", it's simple to view the web, check email, and compose/share documents. (for your average user)

I give it a year or 2 after release, and GoogleOS will have HUGE penetration into the home computer user market segment - it will be everything people want, without the stuff they don't want.

I should sell that idea to Hollywood and be a millionaire.

You can't. Google™ already owns the right to that idea©.

- Blackstar

There's only two things I'll ever buy from Apple.

The latest iPod Touch 32GB

OSX when it finally gets legally ported to a regular Intel PC.

[strike]The latest iPod Touch 32GB[/strike]

There is already rumors that the Android OS will be ported to similiar platforms (MP3 type device). If you look at the G1 or G2, you will see that open source has produced many fine games that utilize the same technology that the Apple Iphone and Touch uses. No need to pay more than you need for technology that can be reproduced without the Apple pricetag. Oh and if you didnt know the android OS is a mighty fine music player too.

I wont disagree with you on this one. I have my Mini 9 turned into a hackintosh as well as dual boot Win 7. I tend to boot to the Mac OS just cause its one click and open applications.

YES WORLD DOMINATION!!! my plan has worked, i told you all a while back that the future will be googlemart and googleplex, even google the game!

Actually I don't really give a rat's behind about iPod music. I just want a nice iPhone like compact internet device that fits in my pocket. The apps are what sets the iPod apart at this time. The competition hasn't caught up yet.

Actually I don't really give a rat's behind about iPod music. I just want a nice iPhone like compact internet device that fits in my pocket. The apps are what sets the iPod apart at this time. The competition hasn't caught up yet.

Ditto.

Im gonna get the new Ipod Touch 16GB (or more) when it comes out because it has,
- A awesome web browser.
- You-tube works on it.
- Has Maps.
- It will have a camera.
- Its overall a good device.

I can't find any other Mp3 player with that.

I would like a ZuneHD, but by not putting a camera in that thing and by not having youtube work on it, is a deal breaker.

So even though I despise Apple I do agree their iTouch/iPhone is top notch.

The latest iPod Touch 32GB

OS X when it finally gets legally ported to a regular Intel PC.

It's my belief that OS X will eventually get ported to generic PCs. Apple is not going after the osx86 developers like one would think; they do battle with the likes of Psystar because Psystar is so blatent, and doing so for profit.

Perhaps Apple could tighten up the OS X EULA so as to put future legal battles on firmer ground; then again, maybe they don't want to "slam-the-door" on future business strategies...

Tbh, I dont find anything great about Apples OS's I hate the looks, and I dont really see why I would take it over Windows 7/Vista unless if I used a certain program that benefited from Apples OS.

Monkeymhz: osx looks good, people typically find it trouble free to use, and you don't have all the security concerns you have on windows (you don't have to run a suite of applications to keep it running virus/malware free.

I see virtues in apples os, I just can't justify the price tag.

I think IMOG and I are in tune on both his posts, I agree 115%.

On my XP machine at work, I have to have my virus scanner, my spyware scanner and stuff constantly breaks for no reason. I have to have a couple of virtual machines for software testing and programming test environments and for God only knows what reason, they're more stable than the main OS. It's prob because there is no web surfing or e-mails going through the VMs.

Now, I've never had an app or component inexplicably break in OS X, I've never had any interdependency issues, I've never had to reinstall the OS due to performance degredation and I could go on and on....

Now on the bad side..... I've recently started ripping and converting my HD-DVD collection to play on my PS3 now that the format is dead and I don't want to rebuy the discs. The tools simply aren't there for OS X (or Linux). They're there for Windows. This has been the only time I've run into this though.

Google is not going to take away the business environment be it workstations or servers but I can forsee them taking the home market as IMOG said.

I like Apple and OS X. Google is going to be a game changer. I'm just saying that it would be in Jobs' best interest to be on their side when the BIG battle between them and MS goes down. If they try to stay neutral they Apple as a PC and OS maker will fade away and they will be forced to rely on iPhones, iPods, iTablets or whatever is next down the line...

I think IMOG and I are in tune on both his posts, I agree 115%.

On my XP machine at work, I have to have my virus scanner, my spyware scanner and stuff constantly breaks for no reason. I have to have a couple of virtual machines for software testing and programming test environments and for God only knows what reason, they're more stable than the main OS. It's prob because there is no web surfing or e-mails going through the VMs.

Now, I've never had an app or component inexplicably break in OS X, I've never had any interdependency issues, I've never had to reinstall the OS due to performance degredation and I could go on and on....

Now on the bad side..... I've recently started ripping and converting my HD-DVD collection to play on my PS3 now that the format is dead and I don't want to rebuy the discs. The tools simply aren't there for OS X (or Linux). They're there for Windows. This has been the only time I've run into this though.

Google is not going to take away the business environment be it workstations or servers but I can forsee them taking the home market as IMOG said.

I like Apple and OS X. Google is going to be a game changer. I'm just saying that it would be in Jobs' best interest to be on their side when the BIG battle between them and MS goes down. If they try to stay neutral they Apple as a PC and OS maker will fade away and they will be forced to rely on iPhones, iPods, iTablets or whatever is next down the line...

Just take any technology already invented, slap an apple name on it and add a "I" in front of it. You now have Apple's official R&D white papers.

Monkeymhz: osx looks good, people typically find it trouble free to use, and you don't have all the security concerns you have on windows (you don't have to run a suite of applications to keep it running virus/malware free.

I see virtues in apples os, I just can't justify the price tag.

I see your point. But for me theres no advantage, I barely ever virus scan and I never have any viruses or malware.

And if I want something thats really secure I just go to Linux for things like my server.

I see how OSX has potential for some people, but not me.

GoogleOS - it doesn't require maintenance like Windows, Google is familiar and "good", it's simple to view the web, check email, and compose/share documents. (for your average user)

If this OS does catch on it will have to have all the maintenance addons that windows currently has.

Just take any technology already invented, slap an apple name on it and add a "I" in front of it. You now have Apple's official R&D white papers.

It works doesn't it? and if i remember apple (steve jobs) had the GUI first.

I see your point. But for me theres no advantage, I barely ever virus scan and I never have any viruses or malware.

And if I want something thats really secure I just go to Linux for things like my server.

I see how OSX has potential for some people, but not me.

Different strokes for different folks

Back