• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chimp Challenge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmwbaxter

Hey,

I was wondering when this years(2013) Chimp Challenge was going to be? I figure it best to get the ball rolling early in order to get max forum participation. It is one of my fav DC events, plus early planning will better our odds of winning again :thup:

If I recall correctly, early April. Right after march madness.

I have always wanted to do an actual march madness competition where we take 32 folders and put them in a tournament style competition. Not only could the top folders get an opportunity to win prizes but the person that makes the most correct predictions could get a prize also.

However the amount of work necessary to put something like that together would be daunting.

Just a friendly heads up about starting discussions right away

I think we had concensus on starting earlier this year like march

Get or Pick your CC captains and lets start talking already so we can iron things out right away

I'll start a CC thread in the EVGA forums for discussions and if you wish to contact me there you can post or PM me there (im usually on)

I still have not heard from OCN yet

Im already thinking this is botched already
we need to be talking already - last year we wound up starting past the original start date (because teams and captains weren't talking)

EVGA requires early discussions so we can have rules & formula and provide notices early - so we can contact members prior to contest

we don't like some hastely put together formula

try sending out 12,000 PM's

and who gonna run stats this year? OCN's site was bad
-------------------------------------------------------

Update:

OCN captain is BWG (businesswithgreg)

OCN has proposed dropping the use of switching names ...whaaa??? last year they threatened leaving if that happened
anyways it's good news I think most of the teams wanted that to be dropped

this leaves us in a position of figuring out the new contest formula

Last edited:
I still have not heard from OCN yet

Im already thinking this is botched already
we need to be talking already - last year we wound up starting past the original start date (because teams and captains weren't talking)

Hey Xavier.

Stay optimistic. OCN is slow to get rolling but once they get going they'll make you wish they had stayed silent. :rofl: j/k

I hear you about the PM's! :eh?:

What do you think about the 20th to the 27th of April? That's the last week of April, weeks after Easter this year, and after the tax deadline for the US, as well.

Should give you guys lots of time to send out your PM's, etc.

Do you mean "bad" as in good for the stats last year, or "bad" as in bad?

HWC the year before that was RAD...OCN google doc sux

even I put something together that was better
given if I had enough time(and no one gets ill again) I suppose Id do a better job

1 week only? or two weeks?
I'll post the proposed date on EVGA CC2013 discussion thread

which is here
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1608494

lets get the discussion started early so we can get things done right and with time left for announcements

Folding madness contest starts for EVGA in march
https://sites.google.com/site/foldingmadness/registration-1

Seven days is perfect. Every team has time to make a good run at it, and nobody feels like they have lost out on a boatload of points, because they raced.

What is the preference of your team, Xavier?

1. if we fold under our own names like OCN wants then no one loses points..so no one will feel like they lost out on a boatload of points

2. other than using more power and making some members fold longer than they normally would (so they can game or save $$ on power)...going longer only provides more science and promotes the visibility of FAH longer in each of our forums

win for FAH and win for our teams(growth)
and by promoting prizes even more real growth

if we could get real PR and advertisers...ie coverage on CNET or ZDNET or some tech News sites then maybe it make more of an impact

the two reasons to have contest like this is to increase the visibility of FAH and what good it does, while promoting some fun. In return FAH gets more computing power and we get new members and bring some old members back

last thing we need to do is make teams mad at each other. the formula issue is been a burr for a number of years. this has chased off some of users that used to fold at the contest

if you asking my Opinion...2 wks , but that's not up to me....heck Id do a month - Im running 24/7 anyways

Last edited:
Not that I have much of say, but I like the idea of folding under your own name. I know last year some people didn't want to switch all their rigs and lose personal standings.

Have it be a weighted average of each teams average PPD, so it take into account how much folding power was gained and work done. that way it ensures 100% team participation but allows for more individuals to join in the challenge.

Just my $0.02

I will leave the rest to the pro's :thup:

Have it be a weighted average of each teams average PPD, so it take into account how much folding power was gained and work done. that way it ensures 100% team participation but allows for more individuals to join in the challenge.

I like this idea, just take the team average for the last 4 months and the points can be the percentage gain from the average. Which ever team ups their points the most is the winner. A two week race would be fine since nobody has to switch over to other names and 24/7 folding simply continues.

The sooner we start the better because people will start switching off their machines as the hot weather hits early down south.

I like the idea of us racing under our own names, but this was strongly opposed last year. Has this changed?

I believe a 7 to 14 day race length is great. Less becomes too much about the start, and longer becomes boring.

We need to get our team CC reps over to the CC team forum, ASAP. Hopefully, we'll get a chairman to move the process forward, without the delays we typically see.

I saw (your?) site - it was :thup: I believe you just talked yourself into a job, Xavier! :D

I will get the ball rolling here, to expedite matters. Will you and devlDog be team captains this year?

Im still captain for EVGA
(I suppose I can see if devdog still wants to be co-capt - needed a co - last year because of family illnesses)

businesswithgreg(BWG) is OCN

like I said OCN has changed their tune - last year they threatened pulling out if chimp names were gone (I do recall zodac firmly against it)

I would have to back to the CC forum to see who was flatly against it
Im sure HWC doesn't mind (I haven't quite updated them with the info yet tho)

you have 3 for sure right now

if pull a baseline from teams - we use best month from previous 12
that way we don' have a team average that is down (during non contest times) being compared to other running during peaks months

like pulling the peek month of HWC with NCIX when they merge during CC
look at past history of each team - take PEAK PPW or PPD

PS: fast update
BWG wants to discuss everything thru IRC or Teamspeak and does not have CC forum access yet (zodac controls that)

Last edited:
@voodoo do'er: April is a good bet. Date is uncertain yet.

Im still captain for EVGA
(I suppose I can see if devdog still wants to be co-capt - needed a co - last year because of family illnesses)

Excellent either way. :D
businesswithgreg(BWG) is OCN
like I said OCN has changed their tune - last year they threatened pulling out if chimp names were gone (I do recall zodac firmly against it)

BWG is a good choice.

I would have to back to the CC forum to see who was flatly against it
Im sure HWC doesn't mind (I haven't quite updated them with the info yet tho)
OCAU was against it last year. Not sure how they feel about it this year.

Three captains is a good start.
if pull a baseline from teams - we use best month from previous 12
that way we don' have a team average that is down (during non contest times) being compared to other running during peaks months

like pulling the peek month of HWC with NCIX when they merge during CC
look at past history of each team - take PEAK PPW or PPD

That won't work, because our best month in the last 12 months, IS the last CC, and we had a HUGE influx of inactive folders and visitors come flocking in to help us. We'd be stuck like a bug on flypaper, immediately. :shock:

What would work is to take the last year, and throw out the high and the low months (1, 2, 3 or as many months as you want, up to about 8). Then get the average from the remaining months.

PS: fast update
BWG wants to discuss everything thru IRC or Teamspeak and does not have CC forum access yet (zodac controls that)

Any way you want to get together is fine by me. OK, the Gay bar is a little iffy. :rofl:

Is Zodac NOT going to give the CC captains access to the simple machines forum this year??

Back