• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video lockup is only problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gridsleep

Registered
The only problem I'm having with my new KK266+R is that the Jaton TNT2M64 keeps locking up. I've searched and seen mention from others with almost exactly the same problem but I don't think it's the memory (plain PC150) or the heat (39 Celsius) or any of that. Maybe it's the 250W PS. I'm working on building everything up. Better PS next, then an All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500DX whenever it comes out. Right now I am using my old Diamond Stealth II S220 4MB video card with no lockups at all. The only anomaly I can find is the PCI bus is running at 1/3 with the FSB at 133, which makes for 45MHz on the PCI. I cannot find anything to adjust the divisor to 1/4. This info from Sandra. So far no reply from Jaton tech support. The lockups with the Jaton occur at straight factory settings, default optimized, default fallback/safe settings, Athlon 1.2/266 (AMD HSF) overclocked to 1428MHz as it is now (136 x 10.5 @ 1.700V). When I remove the Jaton card the system works fine. The Jaton worked fine with my old Chaintech 5SSV mobo (SiS 530 chipset, AMD K6-2 400). This is just driving me nuts. Without the fallback card I'd be 5%|T out of luck. If I just have to wait to get the AGP card I dream of, OK. Just, anybody with info or advice, let me know. Thanks. Oh, and by the way, if you know what that extra unmarked jumper on the KK266+R is, between the CMOS battery and the LED pins, please let me know. It's driving me nuts and I'm itchy to just switch it to see what it does. But I'm not that much of a fool.

Welcome to the forums...

The AGP bus and the PCI bus run at speeds that are fixed fractions of the Front Side Bus (FSB). When the FSB jumper is set to 100 the AGP bus is 2/3 the FSB and the PCI bus is 1/3 the FSB.

When the FSB jumper is set to 133 the AGP bus is 1/2 the FSB and the PCI bus is 1/4. These fractions are fixed so the speeds of each bus increase or decrease synchronously with the FSB.

Sandra 2000 reports the PCI bus speed incorrectly, 1/3 the FSB instead of 1/4 the FSB...this has been fixed in v. 2001.

I would check the KK266 (R) FAQ here...

http://www.x-faqtor.com

...as far as your videocard problem (it could be that your card is sharing an IRQ with the RAID controller, C-Media sound, etc...something that the Jaton refuses to work alongside with). I would also check to make sure that "Video Ram Cacheable" is disabled in the "Advanced Chipset Features" of the BIOS.

PCI Sharing on the KK266...

PCI 1 and 5 and AGP
PCI 2 and 6
PCI 3 and C-Media On Board Sound
PCI 4 and USB and Raid (Raid for Raid board only)

The only jumper I know of that's near the LED pins is the "CMOS jumper". The jumper cap should be on Pins 1 and 2 for normal/default operation. Jumping pins 2 and 3 is for clearing CMOS

Last edited:
thanks been there done that

I've followed all the advice you mentioned, thanks, all found after two weeks of online research. Video card is in slot one, scsi is in slot 4 (with the raid which is deactivated for now.) I have a Jaton sound card that would be in slot three, but that's not in right now. Video bios is not cached, video ram is not cached, video irq is on, acpi is turned off and is removed from windows me (Sandra says my Athlon is not acpi compatible). I have followed every bit of advice I could find. It's a mystery. I brought my Jaton card to work to try in a Netvista workstation but just did not have time to even think of it. No word yet from Jaton tech support. Thanks anyway. I'm also running the 12.41 nvidea drivers. Just downloaded those supposed v.4 drivers, whatever they are, so maybe that's one more thing I can try.

And that jumper I mentioned is NOT the cmos jumper. It is a small, brown jumper without a handle (as opposed to the yellow tabbed ones) that sits directly between the cmos chip and the led pins, almost flush with the pins, and there is no documentation on it anywhere, nor any mapping printed on the board. It'll probably turn this thing into a quantum computer, eh? Yeah, dream on.

I can't understand why Sandra would say that your Athlon is incompatible with ACPI...I run a 1.33 (266) on a KK266-R with ACPI enabled, OS is Me, and no problems what-so-ever...STRANGE.

acpi

I wasn't getting any problems with the acpi, but since a couple of articles recommended disabling it for particular problems, and home.wanadoo.nl/howland showed how to use modbin6 to expose the hidden acpi, I did it. Feels good to do anything that Bill Gates doesn't want me to do. If that's the only effect, that's good enough. Anyway, it did not improve the situation. As for Sandra (and it IS 2001, right off this month's MaximumPC CD), in the CPU & BIOS Information/Processor 1, there is a big red X next to ACPI Support. I know this doesn't necessarily mean ACPI is deleterious to the Athlon. But I prefer driving a stick, and I like removing anything automatic from my system. I'm going to try the Nvidea again with those supposedly level 4 (7.78) Detonator drivers. Oh, and that unmarked jumper (where did the kk266 faq get the jp2 from?) does indeed do nothing when switched. At least, nothing visible. No black helicopters, so far.

No more lockup

Ah, the BB is finally up. I could not get in here this morning, 404 error. Anyway, the video lockup has gone away. I removed any reference to NVidea drivers, even the respective .inf files. Curiously, there was no reference in the registry for NVidea. Reinstalled the card, and WinMe found it and started to install the original built in tnt2m64 driver. Guess what? WMe stopped and said the driver may not be MS certified, and as the current setting was to refuse installation, it didn't. I puzzled this for a minute, then restarted the installation. This time I set the certification check to prompt only, and told it to install the driver. It went in, and the video has not locked up since. I don't even want to think of explaining it. Windows is for madmen. In January we deskside support reps at the company I work for begin rolling out XP. Already I'm feeling like a Vichy collaborator aiding and abetting Gates's Fourth Reich. The more advanced this OS gets, the worse it gets. Can anyone stop it? Is anyone going to try?

If you hadent already solved the problem i would have said it was your powersupply. 250w is kinda low for a 1.2ghz athlon, but if its working now i guess thats not it.

Well, I didn't solve it. Six or eight hours later it locks up again. In lieu of anything else, I reinstalled Me on top. No dice. Yes, it's new power supply time, and it will be a nice enermax 550W. I want to have enough power for all the hard drives this raid board can support. I'm back to using the Diamond card because the comp locked up twice when I was trying to write this reply. It's amazing how much more power a tnt2 chip uses compared to a rendition 2100. Must be just enough to put it over the edge. With an agp card, the machine probably would not have even booted. Nice. All I wanted was a new mobo and proc. Only a few days later it was new ram. Now a power supply. Video card next. Then a case. How about a nice Lian Li? Sure, why not. And a Sony F520 monitor while I'm at it. Oh, and don't forget the Klipsch promedias. It's not like I have to save up for my old age. This beige money pit is going to give me an aneurism in a few weeks anyway. You see? I shouldn't have gone to college in '76. I never would have gotten into computers. Could have went to welding school. Would have had a couple of Cadillacs and a Harley in the garage by now. But noooOOOOOooo, I had to go and get mesmerized by these overblown algebra engines. whuf. Somebody get me a hammer.

It's not the power supply. I just put everything in an Antec SX1040B (400W) and it's still locking up. So, it's either the USB, the monitor (can some sort of refresh feedback lock the video card?) or the card is just plain not good. Any other ideas?

Back