• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Phenom II x4 980 Black Edition Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm well look at that, a new Deneb. I didn't hear about this at all.

Should be available very soon. AMD said "We expect immediate availability, (though it may take a little time for vendors to post the product for sale)."

Poor AMD, I'm still waiting for their second gen Bulldozer before I upgrade again. Looking forward to seeing the new architecture with integrated GPGPU compute functionallity.....

Mind you, if Intel's priced better for the performance at the time then we'll see. My money is worth more to me than brand loyalty. :p

Should be available very soon. AMD said "We expect immediate availability, (though it may take a little time for vendors to post the product for sale)."

Ya I had seen immediate availability so went looking around but couldnt find it anywhere yet online.

Will most likely pick one up just to play around.

Should be a fun chip to freeze. We'll know whenever Dolk finishes his exams and gets his (poor, tortured) board back.

Personally I see it as nothing but a stop gap meant for the blind masses. I can do four with my current batch of PhII procs. If I were going to do a run with LN2 I still would not bother unless I needed one anyway. This chip is simply a stop gap till Dozer for the OEM market or the guy like us who needs an upgrade.

EDIT: most people still think clock speed is everything and you cant tell them any diffrent. This gives points (BIG POINTS) to amd because they have the fastest stock clocked CPU on the market. (I don't count Intel Turbo as clock speed I do see it as a gimic)

Last edited:
AMD just notified us of a price decrease of $10 over what they previously said, so I'm editing the article to reflect the new MSRP of $185.

The good news is this drops the entire processor stack by an additional ten bucks! The bad news for this little CPU - The Phenom II x6 1090T is now the same price, at $185, making that decision a no brainer. If you board can run a Thuban and you want a new CPU, get the Thuban!

Here's the entire lineup.

EDIT - Article updated.

980, 975, 970, all these news releases make the 965 look like a mid range chip when it was once amds top dog :(

Just raise the multi to 18.5, likely at stock voltage or a hair above; voila, 980! :thup:

You're already above there though. I wouldn't feel bad at all. The most appealing thing about this chip is taking it sub-zero and maybe 100-200 MHz higher stock overclock. It's not going to amount to a hill of beans over your CPU. So don't feel bad, you're still doing well.

Just raise the multi to 18.5, likely at stock voltage or a hair above; voila, 980! :thup:

You're already above there though. I wouldn't feel bad at all. The most appealing thing about this chip is taking it sub-zero and maybe 100-200 MHz higher stock overclock. It's not going to amount to a hill of beans over your CPU. So don't feel bad, you're still doing well.

well it does do 3.8 on stock volts so i shoudlnt really be complaing, and a 965 that can hit 4.4/4.5ghz (1.53v) isnt to shoddy etheir, just need cooling :clap:

Looks like i am gonna have to buy one of these to replace my 940deneb, YAY another chip to run cold :D

I hope i can get my hands on one soon, getting some ln2 sometime this month :D

I wonder if being a high(er) binned chip than its other Deneb brothers this chip would have a higher sub-zero ceiling... I guess once Dolk is done with the chip we'll find out if he was able to hit the magic "7" he's been looking for and whether it was easier than his previous attempts.

Back