• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Preparing to purchase Mushkin: any reasons to go 1gb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amair_sc

Hi guys :) !

I am about to purchase some Black lvl II from Mushkin and was wondering if there were any significant advantages of going 2*512 over 2*256? I will be playing games mostly. I know it is easier to overclock 2*256 because it requires less voltage but I would be prepared to mod the vdimm on my board if there is a good performance increase in going with the 512 mb sticks. I will be oc'ing a new 2500+ while I wait for 939 and Prescott to show up (I want something that will be good now and possibly usable in the future).

Also, I have been reading many good things about the OCZ pc3500 platinum limited edition (things about mad timings and nice overclocks); as anyone had some experience with these sticks and Mushkin's?

please share your thoughts with me :D !

Cheers!

Last edited:
You said you want something that will be goo dpossibly in the future...thats a good reason to go 1 gig. I just got my 1 gig of 3500 Mushkin, but Im waiting on the MB and CPU among other things before I can use it.

I understand what you mean and tha 1 gb does look really nice but I will not purchase it if it does not bring a good performance boost. I preffer saving 150US$ now and upgrading with faster mem in 3-4 months if I am not going to get a significant boost from an extra 512 megs of lvl II.

Cheers :) !

You said you play a lot of games. Having a gig of RAM vs. 512MB will decrease level load times so it'd be beneficial. Also, you could turn off the pagefile and have the OS cache more to RAM which might yield some performance improvements.

~THT

For all practical purposes you can NEVER have too much ram. NEVER. You'll find that you'll end up using it eventually with a newer game, photo editing or video editing.

Back